Load Data for Swift Scirocco II .224 62gr.

Tex S

Could anybody share data with me? I'd like to try these bullets out before I commit to purchasing the manual.

Cartridge is .223 Rem.

Thanks!!!

Could anybody share data with me? I'd like to try these bullets out before I commit to purchasing the manual.

Cartridge is .223 Rem.

Thanks!!!
In my personal experience with other Scirocco II bullets, they seem to load similar to any other cup and core boat tail. If you want to be extremely safe, use spitzer data.

Good place to start is the powder manufacturer's on-line sources.

Tried that. Nada on the Swift website. They want to sell their manual. I get it… everybody has to eat, but I don’t wanna buy the manual if these bullets don’t work out as I don’t typically shoot Swift. I only have these because it was the only thing in stock.

25 grains of Power Pro 2000 MR is used in a Handloader Magazine article from last year. It is the only data I've run into. However, based on descriptions of the current production, I think starting load data from any long 62-grain jacketed lead core bullet will be valid.

Vhitavuori has 4 using this specific bullet. Western Powder's pdf file reloading guide has a number of both 62-grain military and 62-grain Barnes bullet loads for 223 Rem. The Barnes loads would be conservative and safe with the scirocco.

This post contains load data that may be dangerous! Use at your own risk!

Thanks for the replies, guys. I have put together the following data shown in the attached file. Trying to find a pig/whitetail load for my 8 year old kid. Thompson Center Compass II w/ 1-9 twist.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 8.06.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 8.06.50 PM.png
    837.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
All else being equal, the lightest load and lowest velocity combination will have the least recoil, so you might try out the H335 data.

CAUTION: The following post (or a page linked to) includes or discusses loading data not covered by currently published sources of tested data for this cartridge (QuickLOAD or Gordon's Reloading Tool data is not professionally tested). USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_20210820_110035013.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20210820_110035013.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 21
  • thumbnail_IMG_20210820_110048479.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20210820_110048479.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 19
All else being equal, the lightest load and lowest velocity combination will have the least recoil, so you might try out the H335 data.
Thanks, Nick. I have the 335 data for the 55gr TTSX highlighted in green on my sheet. I was thinking this may be a great load to try. I also have the 62gr TTSX highlighted with 24ish grains of Varget. I know this powder is slower, but I have always had such good luck with Varget I thought I may try it. I have literally zero experience with this rifle (it is brand new) so I hope I don't have stabilization issues with the long for caliber 62gr TTSX.

I hope this rifle will be a shooter. I think T/C has a 1 MOA guarantee so hopefully there is potential. I hoped to just buy a few boxes of factory ammo, but as you know that is not so easy right now. I did get lucky and had some Hornady Superformance Varmint factory ammo loaded with a 53gr Vmax. It shot terrible through the brand new bore. 2 MOA at best.

So as of now this rifle has 15 rounds down the tube and has shown zero signs of good accuracy with the 53gr Vmax. I have until the first weekend in November to get something dialed in. His shots will be close (< 100 yds) on small North Texas does. I told him he has to get a hog before we seek deer. He is pumped up!

Last edited:
CAUTION: The following post (or a page linked to) includes or discusses loading data not covered by currently published sources of tested data for this cartridge (QuickLOAD or Gordon's Reloading Tool data is not professionally tested). USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.
Thanks, Stew. Greatly appreciated.

Have a tc compass in 30-06. I have found it to be touchy in regards to seating depth. Start at max col. Then work down into the casing 0.003 increments. I went from a 1.2 to 1.5 moa rifle with match ammo and basic hand loads, to a .6moa rifle.

Back