Llama mag problem

JHM

Inactive
Gentlemen,

I've got a Llama 9mm Government model that I'm having some trouble with -- actually with the magazine. It feeds the cartridges just fine for the first eight, but on the ninth and final, the slide locks back and, naturally, the cartridge isn't chambered. I hit the slide release, then everything's fine. Is this strictly a magazine problem (it's a factory mag)? Could the spring tension not be enough? Any advice you can give as to how I could remedy this would be most appreciated.

Thanks very much,

JHM

Welcome.

If the follower on your magazine is anything like the ones on my Colt 9mm mags, it has a little tab on the left side. This lifts the slide stop into the engagement notch on the slide. This tab may have a large burr or clump of dirt on it, or be bent upwards, causing the slide stop to engage while the follower is still too low.

Have you got two mags? Compare. If not, obtain some dummy training rounds and hand-cycle the pistol. Observe. Try it upside-down, too. This might prove your slide stop is bouncing- a worn detent? (Does your pistol have a plunger tube and two-headed spring like the Colt 1911? Maybe the slide stop dentent is absent or worn short.)

Good luck.

'coach

Back