Llama .380

Alex Johnson

Does anyone else have one of the cute .380's made by Llama that look like the Colt Government model? I bought one of these last week and have put a little over a 100 rounds of mixed hardball and 115 grain hollowpoint handloads threw it. Their were a few jams initially, but after the first 30 rounds everything seemed to smooth out and the gun seems to be going jam free. It seems to me to be a pretty decent little gun for the $225 that I laid out for it, and it is accurate. Actually I'm just finishing up a set of burl maple grips that I made for it to replace the ugly plastic ones that came with it. Just curious if there is any other experiences with this pistol both good and bad. Merry Christmas.

Alex Johnson
NRA Life Member

I baught one, the Llama Micromax 380, i'm writing an article on mine. So far 1000 rounds thru it. Nice gun, though quality is not up to typical european standards(soft steel). My gun works fine, the trigger smoothes up quite a bit with shooting, aparently they parkarized the sear contact points sandblasting and all, it will work free after a while. I don't particularly like the sights, but they work. i found the gun to be very sensitive to 'limp wristing' but other than that, it is as reliable as any medium auto out there. some would say it's a bit heavy for the caliber, but I prefer the heft, for the simple fact i can shoot it faster, and muzzel jump is reduced. Another plus(though most would say it's a minus) the 'casual' slide to frame fit allows for a real reduction on dirt sensitivity, as is shown by me stupidly dropping my gun with the slide held open with no mag in, at the range in the sand, and though all the crud nicely stuck to the grease i put on the slide rails, it fed the fmj russian steel jacked ammo perfectly. i've shot mine enough to know most of quirks, so if you have any specific questions, just post em.

Yes i've noticed that the Llama has a tendency to smooth out over time. I haven't compleatly broken it down yet, all I have done so far is make the above mentioned grips for it. I have thought about doing some of the things that can be done for the 1911's, such as polishing the feed ramp and lightening the trigger pull putting on a set of mini novak sights and maybe even giving it a meltdown job and an ambidextrous safety. If I do elect to do these things, I think I'll get another pistol after I have worked this one over as far as firing goes. I am getting ready to send off for a case of Russian .380's. I figure if parts are going to shear off and the thing is going to turn into a Roman candle in my hand, like some who post here would have me believe, it will probably happen during those 1000 rounds. On the other hand, if it survives with no damage than the pistols are probably worthy of some special attention. I look forward to reading your article.

it should last far over the 1000 rounds. i don't feel it will last much longer than 10,000 but being a realist, who really has the money to shoot it that much, and if you did, then buy another one. i only say that limit because the frame is becoming indented from where the recoil spring rod is being slammed into it. i estimate relatively soft steel, other than that i think it should be good.

Even if the pistol is only limited to 10,000 rounds I have to admit that is much better than a certain S&W .380 that had only a 2500 round life. Your also right about the practicalities of shooting that much. I doubt I will ever fire even half that amount in a pistol of this type.

I've got a MicroMax and a 70's Llama 380 with a ribbed slide. The MicroMax is stainless and has been "buffed" with scotchbright to bypass the shootin period. The 70's Llama is still a virgin. These are very "hidable" guns. They are thin and small. Both of my Llamas are fussy eaters. They love Hornady, CCI Blazer and Federal HydraShoks. They both choke, now and then, on cheap russian Barnaul 380 ammo. I have broken one recoil spring guide in the 70's Llama so I ordered extra parts for it just in case. The MicroMax is slicker-n-snot and seems to be 100% with good ammo. I carry the MicroMax with HydraShoks. Both have had less than 1000 rounds through them. I plan on keeping them both.

I've been looking at some .380 Hydra Shoks in the store and think I'll give them a try in my Llama. I'm also looking at getting some leather for it, probably an IWB, though an ankle holster might not be too bad either. I've carried a Kimber Ultra Carry for some time now and don't plan on getting rid of it any time soon. The selling point in the favor of the Llama is that it is much thinner than the Kimber and that is a real consideration for IWB. It's not that I can't carry the Kimber in this way, I can and I do, but it really gets to be a hassle to carry it this way for any length of time. Being somewhat weak willed, I figure that it will only be a matter of time before I quit carrying it altogether. I do believe in the right for honest, law abiding citizens, to carry concealed wherever legal and I figure that if you're going to carry you should make a point to do so whenever and wherever you legally can. Since I have gotten into the bad habit of throwing a .25 pocket pistol in my pants pocket rather than carrying the Kimber, I think it's time that I re-evaluated my habits. The Llama will be an answer to that problem. It's true that their are more powerful pistols in this size range out there; however, at the moment I don't happen to have them. Also, I like the 1911 styling of the Llama and the fact that they can be had for less than half the cost of a Colt. Although I figure the .380 is just adequite for self defense, I do find that I shoot it very well and can place shots into the black on a standard pistol target at 50 feet, which is better than I could do with the Kimber, also the control is much better in rapid fire. Considering this and knowing that there is good ammunition out there that is reliable in my pistol I'm not too worried. The old saying that a .22 in the hand is better than a .44 in the dresser is very true in my mind. I'm only human and like many who post here I'm just as vulnerable to human frailities and spontaneous decisions. Hopefully if the worst ever happens I'll have a means of defending myself and the Llama may be a step in that direction.

Back