Llama .380 Feedback

SA Scott

Greetings:

I'm trying to help a friend find a defensive pistol. HIS requirements: Semi-automatic, .380 or larger, light weight, comfortable in his small hands, and available under $200.

I had all but settled him on an East German Makarov, when he saw a Llama .380. Appearance is that of a miniaturized/bastardized 1911, including grip safety. Unique to this pistol is the rib sight assembly. I could not determine a model or name designation.

Any observations as to quality, durability, and reliability are much appreciated. I'm concerned that this may be too obscure a purchase for a relative novice, particularly in terms of parts and service. On the other hand, it was very comfortable for him, which might increase confidence.

Thanks,

SA Scott

Llama pistols do not have a good reputation for reliability, though most are OK for limited shooting. The parts tend to be soft and there is a lot of internal hand fitting and filing, which makes most parts replacement a gunsmith job. My standard test for a defense pistol is a minimum of 200 consecutive rounds with the carry ammo without a failure. If it will pass that test, it might be OK. Of the two, I would take the Makarov.

Jim

Thanks, Jim.

I agree. I'm trying to steer him toward a more substantial 9mm (beretta Cougar, etc). I have a feeling, however, that he'll wind up with a Makarov or clone.

SA Scott

I bought one of these and on occasion, it jams on the third round which I believe is probably a magazine related problem than firearm itself. I wouldn't know for sure until I pick up another magazine.

Back