Living in Florida

dts686

I just relocated to Florida with my nickel plated revolver and my Beretta 92fs. I am very careful with my guns and oil them with M-Pro 7 LPX every month. It has rust inhibitors in the oil. I'm searching for ideas on how to best keep my guns from rusting in the humidity. Once again I would appreciate your wonderful help! Thank You!

Florida heat; tricks of the trade.....

I travel all over the Sunshine state often.
As for weapons, Id suggest a few simple steps to keep your firearms in top shape.
Keep the handguns clean. Don't leave them dirty after a range session & let them sit out.
I suggest a good CLP like Ballistol, LPX, Weaponshield, FrogLube or Gunzilla.
A light coat can help with storage or rust prevention.
Using Bore-Store bags are smart too. I've used a Bore-Store bag for different guns for years in Florida with no problems. Note; the bags are not security locks or for anti-theft. They just protect the firearm from rust/humidity.
Id also keep the guns in a cool, dry, dark place away from any small children or places where heat/moisture may be a problem.
Check them often too so you can avoid any trouble.

Your AC will remove a great deal of the humidity from the inside air. Keep them inside and normal cleaning and oiling will suffice. I have lived in Florida my whole life and never had a gun rust in storage. Sweat on your carry guns is a bigger threat; you need to wipe them off daily and clean more thoroughly at least once a month even if they aren't shot that often.

Where are you located?

I lived most of my life in SOFLA. AC does a lot to mitigate humidity as was mentioned. If you regularly shoot them and clean them, you should have no problems. If you sit them for a while, just take them out every few months to go over them. I had a friend watch mine while I was out of state for a few years and there was no problem. They maybe got shot once or twice in almost 5 years and there was no issues.

If you just have a couple of guns and they stay inside there shouldn't be much of a problem with maintenance. Just keep them cleaned and oiled.

If you had a safe in the garage, a dehumidifier would be appropriate. A GoldenRod is good, but I'm told a 25W lightbulb does just fine. I used to have a safe in the garage without a dehumidifier, but I took the guns out every few months and wiped them down.

Thank You for your excellent advise!

ClydeFrog: Thanks for the Bore-Store bags you suggested. I've already ordered them for my guns thanks to you.

TailGator: I'm in Longwood just north of Orlando.

Once again this forum comes through with very useful information that I can use. Thank you again!

RIG

I love and use a lot of RIG. Best stuff in the world for keeping rust off your firearm. Put a gob on a rag smear it on you gun and try to wipe it off. This leaves a film that wont allow moisture in.

I use to use it when I hunted the Alaska Coast in salt spray (wind blows a bit there). This was on Blued rifles. Never a speck of rust.

No problem....

I was going to list a few decent websites for cleaning products & gear.
Glad to see you ordered a few Bore-Store bags.
They are handy for travel or range use too to avoid nicks, scuffs, rust, etc.

BTW; The Lake Mary FL Gander Mountain Academy location is great. They offer regular shooting ranges & simulated target/shoot-don't shoot video systems.
Orlando has a large Bass Pro Shop by International Drive too. :D

Clyde
www.midwayusa.com www.brownells.com www.natchezss.com www.policehq.com www.grafs.com www.galls.com

I'm on Tampa bay with my guns alot, so I have humidity & salt to deal with. I've had a camera ruin in one day once when the wind was up along with the salt spray. I've had excellent results with eezox cpl. They make it in a spray, but I prefer the little bottles. It's a little hard to find sometimes, so call around or find online. Ballistol is supposedly good too, but haven't used it

BTW; The Lake Mary FL Gander Mountain Academy location is great. They offer regular shooting ranges & simulated target/shoot-don't shoot video systems.
Orlando has a large Bass Pro Shop by International Drive too.

I'll second that. I'm not in the area, but I pass through once in a while. Gander stores, in general, seem to be kinda pricey, but last time I was up at Lake Mary I picked up a used S&W model 36 for $250.

I’ve been in central FL since 1985, mostly in the Cocoa Beach/Cape Canaveral/ Merritt Island area, with high humidity and salt. Never had any problems with rust. I keep most of my guns locked in a safe with a dehumidifier, but also carry a gun every day. I’m certainly not a gun-cleaning fanatic and really don’t clean my guns much unless I’m going to be in a serious match. Never a problem.

Biggest problem I've had (Central FL East Coast) is leaving a revolver in the car 24x7, including the car sitting out during the long hot summer. Brass cartridges tend to corrode and get sticky (think green slime). I switched to nickel cases and haven't had any more problems.

I've been in Florida since 1965.
I currently use Corrosion-X and Rig Universal Gun Grease.
This seems to keep them corrosion free, even when ignored for years sometimes.

I’m certainly not a gun-cleaning fanatic and really don’t clean my guns much unless I’m going to be in a serious match. Never a problem.

Agreed. Should be no problems unless you have something poorly made or some collectables you really want to protect. You certainly should clean your gun after shooting alot as your normally would though.

Last edited:
Daytona Beach FL; Palm Bay....

That's true about the huge development in the Daytona Beach FL area.
There are civic plans to put in a huge tourist/visitor section with new stores, hotels, movie theater complex, restaurants, etc.
For anyone outside of central FL, Daytona Beach FL has the long International Speedway. The huge racing track is on one side & it's surrounded by a series of stores, chain hotels, restaurants, etc.
Palm Bay, FL which is near by, just got a new Bass Pro Shop also.
Cabela's is the only large hunting/outdoor retailer not in the metro Orlando or Daytona Beach area.
REI doesn't have any locations either but they are more of a West Coast chain & cater mostly towards camping/outdoor activities other than the shooting sports/guns.

As long as you store them indoors and keep a little oil on them, you'll be fine. Carry guns will need a little more attention, especially in the summer time, to keep sweat from eating them up.

A Glock won't rust - nothing special you need to do there.

Stainless guns won't generally rust, unless you are doing something weird with it where it would be directly exposed to ocean salt spray, or you work outdoors in a swampy area.

I've carried a Ruger LC9 for about 2 years now; have kept it locked in my car for overnight occasionally and it shows no signs of rust. I did apply a coat of Johnson's paste wax to the metal parts.

Unless you are carrying an older blued gun with no rust treatment, rust isn't any more of a problem in Florida than most other places in the southeast. HOWEVER, a blued gun, like a Python, older S&W revolver, etc. will require quite a bit more attention if you are carrying one. So will blued rifles. If you are storing ANY blued gun in an un-airconditioned space in Florida, it will rust regardless of how much oil/wax you put on it (exception cosmoline). I learned this the hard way by letting the University PD store my Remington 22-250 for me for no less than 3 weeks!:mad:

I lived in south Florida for nearly 40 years, and, for LONG TERM storage, I have used spray Paralketone with great success. Commercially it is available as "LPS-3" and it applies a thin waxy coat on the metal that forms a barrier against moisture. When I worked for the airlines, it was used in the bellies of the aircraft as corrosion protection. It is also used in boats. Some of my guns were stored literally for years in the closet with a coating of Paralketone and never rusted. It's also very easy to wipe off and doesn't make a big mess like Cosmoline. The down side is that LPS-3 is about 12 bucks a can.

If your gun is stored for many months, you will need to use some sort of light solvent or very thin oil (WD-40 works as a solvent) to clean the internals of your gun as it does tend to thicken a bit after 6 months or a year.

Back