Live in Upstate NY and want ot get CMP Garand?

othermarc

This came up in Miss D's board at acme(Jedi Oomodo asked how to get a Garand without being good at competition), and I felt I would post it here in case there is a random TFL member that wants to get a CMP Garand and lives relatively close to Binghamton NY. As you can tell, I really had a great experience. Email me if you want more specific information on the Clinic...it's offered 4 times a year.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I suck, too!!! Welcome to the wonderful world of being a BAD SHOT. Fortunately for those of us that need to work on our skills, the Constitution says NOTHING of being able ot hit our intended Targets.

Ok, I am not that bad of a shot, so long as I have my own Rifle. I can hit really small targets from far away with my M1A. but all of this is irrelevant. It does not say you must be a competitor, just that you have been in one NRA sanctioned 50rd competition. And it does not say you have to do well, either. Mearely being it the competition, pulling the trigger 50 times, and not breaking any rules is enough. Yes, you do have to be in an affiliated Club. Also, read the fine print, you do NOT have to use an M1. ANY Center Fire Rifle will do. It would be hard to use a bolt action, but you can

This is what I did[to get my CMP Garand]. A Club in my parents hometown (Binghamton, NY) holds "M1 Clinics" These clinics are great. You get up bright and early, go to the Club range, and sit in a classroom and learn all about Garands. How ot take them apart, their history, how to put them back together, and some basic rifle marksmanship skills. They show you different shooting positions and walk you through a "NRA Sanctioned Competition." Our instructor was very forgiving, he fought with Patton, so he has been on the Combat end of a Garand, and also was patient. He knows people do not pick up a
Garand and shoot 1 inch groups. Anyway, after being educated on Garands, they take you to the range, where you practice with about 30-40 rds of ammo, sighting in, etc. Oh, I almost forget, this particular club has sixteen (16!!!!!) Garands that you can use FREE of charge in the clinic. So you have to sight in since you are not using your own rifle.
Then the instructor gives the 50 rd competition, which he scores, as well. They gave us little score books, and what not. Now get this, all of this, 8am to 4pm, over 80 rds of ammo (included if you are using a 30'06 rifle), borrowing a Garand--for $25!!!! You can't buy 80 rds of 30'06 for $25...you can't "borrow" a Garand...and you are not going to find a nicer WWII Vet to teach you about Garands. That is how I solved the "competition" part of the CMP program. I had a GREAT day and learned tons of stuff. The instructor is hell-bent on teaching everyone how to use a Garand, and hopefully buy one from the CMP.

Now for the Club part....There are a lot of affiliated Clubs. It so happens that the one offering the clinic that I took also offers membership for $50 for the 1st yr, and $25/yr after that. That was all the convincing I needed. Not to mention I can use their range every time i am home, and can partake in other club benefits.

But this is NY...so I can't help you in Texas. go to www.odcmp.com and look for affiliated clubs in your area. Look for "M1 Clinics" in your area. by the way, I took the clinic with my brother and good friend, so there was no laughing. My brother is about to order his Garand, too. Jedi Oomodo (how in the hell do you pronounce that?), I bid thee Good Luck and Godspeed you on your journey to get a Holy Garand. By the way, get a Service Grade, they come fast and most are in good shape. I got lucky and got one in Great shape.

May the Force be with you,
Marc, of the Other[/quote]

Back