live from the stand

BerdanSS

Well its opening day for firearms, im in the stand. Its 7:15 and the the sun is cresting. Iver heard two shots to the south. Good luck everyone, stay safe

It just seems wrong to be hunting AND be on the internet.

I hunt to get away from that world, and get back to the REAL world

My wife used her .243 and some gentle handle loads to drop a nice 9 pointer this morning about 8 am. Her best deer yet, not a monster by any stretch but not tough to shake off the 100 grn hornady bullet. Hit the back edge of near shoulder and exited just in front of the diaphram. Big bodied rascal, he is deboned and in freezer awaiting processing day. She is tickled and I am tuckered.

The proof from which the pudding is made. Your looking at the exit side from my one hit wonder Rossi 92 .44 mag. Slinging a stoutly loaded 225gr FTX. 54 yards tucked right behind the right shoulder, completely took out the right lung, went through the upper corner of the left.

snyper

It just seems wrong to be hunting AND be on the internet.

:D Too true mate. In this techno encrusted world we live in, it seems near impossible to escape it. I normally dont take the cell into the woods with me, but I'm on call this weekend (must have cell on and with me at all times) and I had my hunting buddy with me. We communicate movement via text so there's no noise.

I'll admit, don't get too deep into modern firearms season. I'm strictly there to put good meat in the freezer. To me, gun season is like strolling down the meat isle in the best grocery store on earth (the woods:D)

Now muzzle loader season? That's the bread and butter of life. Absolutely NO electronics allowed what so ever. Full blown colonial style, heck sometimes I even dress the part. I have a new day glow orange liberty hat inbound just for opening day :)

Heck, I was wondering when this year's thread would start! Surprised Brian hasn't been posting with his screenshots of his stands again!

Got out this morning for the first time in 3 years. That is worth it's own post in a little bit.;)

Well here we are again. Sitting in the stand opening day for muzzleloader season. Hoping for a repeat of firearms opening day, especially since the rest of that season was a total wash. Bad weather today though. Unseasonably warm, rainy and wind is blowing.

Good luck all.

Rossi 92 .44 mag

Killin' 'em in style!

In this techno encrusted world we live in, it seems near impossible to escape it. I normally dont take the cell into the woods with me, but I'm on call this weekend (must have cell on and with me at all times) and I had my hunting buddy with me. We communicate movement via text so there's no noise.

Times are a changing. I didn't post the whole story in my other thread but technology killed my buddy's first buck this year. We had two bucks bedded in a super thick mesquite draw that we spotted at ~ 1000 yards. Modern glass could see spikes on the yearling miniature whitetail (coues deer) at that distance. When we got over to the hill we wanted to shoot from, we could not see the bedded bucks in the thick mesquites. My other friend texted me a picture he took thru his binos to get me looking in the exact spot, and I was able to make out what appeared to be a deer body and when he turned his head just right I could see his ears and antlers. Without that we still would have seen them when they got up but it was nice to be ready on the bipod and waiting.

HOG HUNTING
Seems that statement wasn't very true. Good luck

Unfortunately for me, I'm on call this weekend again. We have a litter of two week old Sheppard mix pups in from an animal cruelty case. The Mother only made it two days and died. The puppies would make the eyes of even a person with a heart of stone water up looking at them. In the last 8 years My wife and I have been running a 501C Canine Rescue, my rotation has never happened during muzzle loader season...let alone on opening day:( I tried to beg, borrow and bribe my way out of on-call....no dice.

But it was an opening day of firsts. 42* outside and rainy, I've been sick but went anyway (so I broke tradition and wore all my modern weather proof camo:o) Annnnd, not one single deer was seen. None of those things have happened since I started muzzle loader hunting. Now with the awful weather weather we'er having, warm and wet for this time of year. Looks like my regular work schedule isn't going to allow me to go out until Saturday after next, which is closing weekend :(

This has been a terrible year....

Last edited:
Back