Littleton ShotMaker

goob

Inactive
Just curious if any of you have seen these, or used them. Or perhaps bought shot from somebody that was making it w/ one of them. I see them advertised starting at $300, which seems like a bit of an investment, but it would surely pay off with all the reloading I do for trap. The possibility of selling cheaper shot to my associates is also there, to further aleviate the purchase costs. Any first hand, second hand, or any hand knowledge or advice concerning these devices would be appreciated.
Thanks..

Goob,

I have not tried one, but my old mentor Bryant Grace bought one back in the late 70's. He ended up selling it at a loss to get rid of it.

Bryant was a stickler for consistency and that was the downfall of the mini-shot-tower. Bryant theorized that the problem was that there was not enough drop to allow the lead to form perfect round shot. He said that nearly fifty percent of his shot was teardrop shaped.

Unless the technology, or the hardware has improved, I don't think it would be worth the investment.

Have you considered getting some of your skeet/trap shooting friends to join forces and buy a ton of shot at a time? Might be cheaper that way.

Doc Hudson

A ton at a time?

Thanks for the advice Doc. Now, where might a fellow get a ton of shot, and what price range is "acceptable"? Would a local retailer be able to ship it in, or would it be better to contact a manufacturer?

Goob,

I don't have a phone number, but I think a good place to start would be to call Remington's Lonoke, AR plant. Lonoke produces nearly all of the shot and most of the loaded shotshells that bear the Remington brand.

Next, call the maker whose name appears on the last bag of shot you bought. I am reasonably sure that if you buy in large quantity, the manufacturer will deal directly with you. That ought to cut prices a bit.

For price per pound, check the metals section of the commodity market listing in you local newspaper's stock pages. You can get the per pound price of lead in the same listing with the per ounce price of gold and silver. After you get the current price per pound of lead, divide that price into the cost of the last bag of shot you bought to get the per pound price of the shot. When you contact the manufacturer, expect the quoted cost to be between the per pound price for lead and the per pound price of the shot.

Unless you deal with a particular truckline or delivery service, I'd ask the seller to suggest a shipper. Just don't expect to save money if you chose UPS or FedEx.

Doc Hudson

I deal with a semi-local company called C.A.C Associates they buy shot by the trailer truck load. I've chipped in with a few buddies and bought a ton at a time ( saved a few bux per bag) I'm sure they'll be happy to sell you a ton of shot. Their # is (814)472-4433 If they answer the phone as PM Supply don't think the # is wrong the 2 companies are owned by the same guy and somebody just forgot which line they picked up.

While at the Grand a couple of years back, four of us chipped in and bought a ton of West Coast shot. The price IIRC was $11.00 per bag. That shot carefully distributed in the passenger compartment of my car made it ride real low.

On the return trip I thought about the conversation I'd have with the highway patrol if they wondered about the low-riding Nissan.

"It's just 500 pounds of lead officer, honest." :D

I wouldn't make my own shot. The only fooling with lead that I want to do is launching it at high velocity at spinning clay targets. The hazards of molten lead and lead fumes are enough discouragement for me.

Back