Little Sister's First Duck

SPEMack618

So, in Georgia, duck season is nearly over. Earlier in the year, I promised I'd take my younger sister, who is the baby of the family, hunting this year.

Well, between her schooling, swimming, and church stuff, and my full time job and new found Guard responsibilities, it hadn't quite happened yet.

So, today, I took a personal day from work and she used one of her ten sick days at school. No perfect attendance award this year, oh well. She was bundled up for extended deep sea diving in about eight layers of wool, neoprene, and my old M-65 field jacket. That being a concession to Mother to allow her to play hooky. And we cut our way into a perfect hole me and my buddies sometimes hunt.

Had to break a little bit of ice to get the decoys out, but the wind was relatively calm and we had good cloud cover, so hopes were high. Sun had been good and up for about ten minutes when two birds decided to investigate our spread.

it was almost hunting show perfect as they flared to land, I heard her click the safety off her 1100, and I put a cautious hand up to tell her to wait. After five seconds I silently whispered "blast 'em" and she dumped all three No. 2s into one hen, which promptly dropped into the water amid the decoys.

Nothing else gave us the time of the day, and I dropped off her at school in time for her second block, which is AP Calculus, which is a good thing, I suppose. She had a bit of a gunslinger swagger as she walked out of my truck.

It was a good day. When she gets home and I can figure out how to get her iPhone to talk to my Droid, I'll post some pics.

Got a couple good ones of the swamp and her bird.

Back