Little O/U mossberg won't fire.

imabmwnut

Went to dispatch a snake and mu little Turkish O/U mossberg would fire. Never had an issue with this little gun. Took it apart and can see what is wrong. The firing pins just won't come forward. Trigger doesn't move either. Suggestions?

Pull the stock and clean the insides. Did you ever clean it out when you bought it to get the preservative gunk out of it?

Just tried cleaning it. Shot gun scrubber in all the internals. Blew it out with compressed air. Nothing different. Sigh. She may have to visit a smith. This has been a very good little gun.

You probably need to take the stock off and make sure the firing pin is not broken. Have had that problem with a Mossberg O/U more than once. Some of them also have a strange part that seams to be gravity operated and will lock the action when the gun is pointed almost straight down. It needs to be cleaned and lubed now and then. I have considered just removing it but have not so far.

EDIT: I probably should have said the strange part locks the trigger group. What you describe sounds just like what I experienced with this part.

Last edited:
Contact Mossberg customer service and see what they'll do for you.

My experience is that they will be happy to sell you some new "improved" pins that will also break.

If you need new pins you can also sometimes find them locally. I found some at Sheels in Des Moines. The gunsmith kept some on hand because he had changed out a lot of them.

Back