Little house in the woods . . . .

Prof Young

So the guy who lets me hunt his land let me build a ground blind. I just hauled all the scrap lumber in the garage out to the woods with nails, hammer and chain saw. Didn't have a plan, just eye balled it all and made a "house." Did have to buy some plywood for the roof. Guy in the pic below is my buddy Harold whose land I hunt. We seen huge turkey tracks here and there are deer tracks less than 20 yards from the blind. Life is good.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

Attachments

• ground blind.JPG
    ground blind.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 400
That's some deery looking country in the background. What are you gonna name your house? Deery Lodge maybe? I wish I were that fortunate to have a spread like that to hunt. How many huntable acres does the property have? Any corn or soybean fields on it? Does it have a swamp? I love to hunt in an around swamps.

Good luck,

Erno

Not bad. You should see my dads blind. This guy built this 6x6x8 box with a slanted roof out of tongue and groove. It has a rubber roof covering so it will never leak and 2 side windows 8 inches x 18 inches and a front window 14inches x30. All the windows are hinged so they fold up or down.

Well the guy hunted in this blind on public/international paper land for a few years and decided it wasn't good enough. My dad watched over the blind to make sure trees didn't fall on it. One day the guy said he wanted a new one and was going to haul that one into a clearing and burn it down.

Instead my dad asked about it and the guy helped him move it on to private property. I joke with my dad that i'm going to install insulation and electricity.

Good luck with your new blind.

Well, since I see snow on the ground I guess you don't have to deal with the kind of things you would have to deal with if you put a similar place on the ground here in the south. You'd have to deal with 3 types of venomous snakes, various types of stinging insects that build nests in such places, scorpions, etc. Lots of fun. ;)

Yes and. . . .

Let see, yes the field this looks out on to rotates between soybeans and corn. The "little" chain saw is mine cause it's mostly an around the house garden chainsaw and the guy holding it is a big guy. Um, yes I bow hunt (crossbow) and the window is covered with "shoot through" camo netting. Yes, I am fortunate to have Harold as a friend. He has a lot of wooded land and I have several deer stands scattered throughout. The funny thing is that Harold doesn't hunt. The turkeys move around but once you find them it's more like turkey shopping than turkey hunting. Life is good.

Live well, be safe

Prof Young

Do yourself a favor and make the roof watertight. Look around for Owens Corning weather lock G. It is self adhesive and seals around nails. 1 roll will do it, about $85 at Lowe's or Home Depot.

And good luck with the new spot.

Big al hunter . . .

Well, at $85 then the roof would be worth more than the whole rest of the blind. I do plan on putting some TWP (Total Wood Protection) on when the weather dries out. I have half a gallon left from last time I stained the deck and that stuff is really water proof. Bow season is over here so the next I'm I'll really use it will be spring turkey gun season.

Life is good.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

Very nice Prof Young, you'll enjoy it.

I built one, only put it up as a tower blind.....kids use it as a playhouse in the off season, hunting blind in the fall. Unfortunately the cost got out of control. Not Trump tower but it'll do....

011_zps7670bf40.jpg

I like prof's better.......I'd be concerned the county would levy a tax on that fancy one!!!!! With metal stairs, it would likely pass fire inspection.

Heck, when do you put the elevator in?

Shingles for the roof.

Guy whose land I built this on has a bunch of asphalt shingles going to waste in a shed. Letting me have the for Little House In the Woods. Tar paper too. Gotta love that.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Original poster thats a fine looking deer house man! for sure have to tell us how it goes!

Rembrant whats the heating bill on that thing?

I'm just amazed you had that much scrap lumber in your garage!:D Next will come some discarded LazBoys, a wood stove and a big screen TV - oh wait, that's for the ice fishing houses!:p

Don't think you want to move the fine furniture and amenities in until it's critter proof. Amazing what rodents, bugs, and furry creatures can do to a house in the woods. Make it too nice and the bureaucrats will assess it for property taxes.

Lumber said:
Rembrant whats the heating bill on that thing?
Heat bill?......takes about one BBQ propane tank a year.

003_zpsdfaff262.jpg

Back