Little Crow Gunworks Trimmer

ECM4

I hate trimming brass so I quit reloading rifle for awhile. Started shooting a lot more rifle rounds so starting up again. I bought a little crow Gunworks worlds finest trimmer. Set up seemed simple. Had a case that was the exact length of 1.750 tightened everything down to that length. Somehow I keep getting different lengths on my cases. Nothing is moving but I’m moving up and down from 1.755-1.747 in case length after trim. Why am I getting this difference. I don’t mind the different length because I don’t trim anything that’s below max length 1.760 after resizing. I can’t really tell a difference in accuracy or anything with the differences but I’m wondering if the variations in length is normal. I keep every case in the here until it quits trimming and making contact. I just don’t see how the differences are there.

Yes I full length size. That’s why I don’t understand why the difference. Everything should be the same size after that.

Brass is all different brands. It’s whatever I have bought over the years and anything I picked up from friends who don’t reload.

Make sire you chamfer onside and out. Cutters can create a small wire edge that the caliper will see.

I hate trimming brass so I quit reloading rifle for awhile. Started shooting a lot more rifle rounds so starting up again. I bought a little crow Gunworks worlds finest trimmer. Set up seemed simple. Had a case that was the exact length of 1.750 tightened everything down to that length. Somehow I keep getting different lengths on my cases. Nothing is moving but I’m moving up and down from 1.755-1.747 in case length after trim. Why am I getting this difference. I don’t mind the different length because I don’t trim anything that’s below max length 1.760 after resizing. I can’t really tell a difference in accuracy or anything with the differences but I’m wondering if the variations in length is normal. I keep every case in the here until it quits trimming and making contact. I just don’t see how the differences are there.
Had that problem with my CTS trimmer until I chucked it into my drill press at 1000 rpm. Now my cases come out +/- .0005".

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Maybe I should invest in a drill press.. I just have dewalt drill stuck in a vice with a clamp on the trigger.

Maybe I should invest in a drill press.. I just have dewalt drill stuck in a vice with a clamp on the trigger.
That's what I was doing a few days ago. Was trying to drop all my trimmings into a garbage can to keep my bench area cleaner. Kept getting vastly different trim lengths with the hand drill.

I think part of it had to do with slowing my rpm and the greater torque of the drill press just made it go smoother. Plus, I had a better feel feeding the case into the trimmer because the DP is so solid.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Different case brands are made of different alloys and especially if they are shot in different chambers, they can have head-to-shoulder length differences of several thousandths even after FL resizing in the same die. If they are from the same lot and have the same loading history and are all fired in the same gun, they will vary less and can be got to match quite well.

I use a trim it II in a clamped drill. No issue with variation....I have used the WFT and it is even better in that respect.

I think your fl sizing is where your variation is. I would bet you can trace it to sizing lube consistency of application or the level of neck/shoulder hardness. Do you have an annealer like the Annealeez? You could run 1000 through in an hour or so.

Annealing is the cure for mixed load history brass, in particular, but you still may not get matching results until after the annealed brass has been fired once in the same chamber with the same load.

You may not, but I would put money on anneal, DL size with consistent inside/outside lube application, then trim in this type of setup will get you a trim tolerance you are happy with.

It has worked for me.

It works because the shoulders are all same hardness. Then the die/press can do the same amount of work to them.....checking with the Hornady comparator is a good mid process check.

Like Nathan said its a sizing problem.I had the same issue.I don't anneal yet.Make sure all cases are properly lubed and pausing a bit when the ram is up seems to help.The proper lubing really helps

Make sure there are no brass chips on the area where the shoulder meets the bearing inside. That happens to me from time to time and will throw off the trim length. I keep a few Q-tips at the bench when trimming for that reason.

I never had the problem with the trimmer like that. I had one, using the Tri Trimmer now. I do power trim. Drill upside down in the vice and works a treat.

Attachments

• Tri Trimmer In Drill  II.jpg
    Tri Trimmer In Drill II.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 30
RCBS Trim Pro with 3-way cutter head. This tool is worth every penny spent on it, especially when doing volume. Otherwise a Forster trimmer for small batches (which can be powered using an adapter).

Either one yield very uniform case lengths.

I have the Little Crow tool and have used it couple of times. I prefer the above tools 'muchly'. The Little Crow now sits on the shelf.

Back