Little Backup Revolver?

cbjessee@NH

I always hear about a little J-frame or K-frame revolver as a pocket backup. I'd appreciate knowing what model pistols people find useful.
BRET

I like my S&W 940

I've had a number of j-frames (and my share of Taurus and Charter Arms "j-type"-frames) over the years. They work well for the type of carry you specify (the Ruger SP-101 is a wonderful gun, but it's a bit on the large side for front pant pocket carry). Nowadays I carry an S&W 940 j-frame in 9mm, usually in the front pant pocket. There's no question that a j-frame is a nice quality piece, and it's a little smaller than the corresponding Tauri. I think Tauruses are fine, though, if that's what your budget allows. I've had good and bad experiences with the old Charter Arms pieces - and no experience with the new Charco that's rising from the ashes (again).

For pocket carry, the DAO enclosed hammer guns are nice (although I really prefer the shrouded hammer guns for shooting) because you don't have to clean lint out of the hammer channel.

I've found the 9x19 to be more efficient than the .357 mag or .38 spl out of a snubby bbl, which is how I eventually settled on the piece I now carry. They're no longer made and sometimes hard to find, though, so my next choice would be a .357. The .357 mag is undeniably more powerful than the .38 spl, even out of the snubby bbl, but I don't think the magnum cartridge really hits its stride until it's gone thru about 4" of tube. A light .357 will move out of a short tube pretty quickly (though not so quickly as a light 9x19), but how well will it penetrate? When carrying a .357 snub, I always opted for the middle-weight (e.g., 145 gr STHP) bullets: you give something up in both energy and penetration, but I think it's the most efficient way to handle the short bbl so it's the best compromise for me.

No matter what you decide to carry, I think it's really important to get a decent pocket holster - without one this mode of carry just doesn't work. I use a DeSantis Pocket Pal (their style #30), which impresses me with its quality and its price ($32.50).

Greeting's All,

over the years, I've tried basically every
S&W J-frame (and some K-frame's) available.
But, I always come back to my vintage S&W
model 60, in .38 Special.:D I like the idea
of having an exposed hammer, and stainless
steel construction.:) After all, it's the
first handgun constructed in it's entirety
from stainless; as it was introduced way
back in 1965.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

MOLON LABE!!!

My Ruger SP101 goes everywhere I do. I like the .357 mag confidence factor. The bobbed hammer makes it an easy carry under several layers of clothing - it's never snagged yet.

Great little gun.

i have also owned and used most of the j-frames on the market as well as the colt d-frame, the charter arms and the old security arms. i've handled a few tauri recently and they seem very nice.

i finally settled on the smith 642 because:
it has an enclosed hammer to keep dirt out.
it is more accurate shooting DA than SA.
the alloy frame means there's never and excuse that it too heavy to drop in the pocket of my shorts.

i liked the 940 because of the efficency of the 9mm round in the snubby, but it was not available in the alloy

my favorite shooting snubbies are the colts (cobra/agent) because of their extra round, common speedloader with my issue (at that time) k-frame and superior accurracy (trigger pull & barrel twist)

i really regret selling my security arms .357 mag snubby (an idea b4 it's time) back in th 70's but the gaps in the sideplate was really ugly

i suggest my trainees look to taurus as a best buy in a back-up and spend the savings over a s&w in an action job, hogue grips and practice ammo

Well, my bobbed model 60 has served me well for 18 years but I decided to trade up to a blue steel 442. I'm only paying 200 for the 442 in brand new condition with 100 rounds through it and selling my 60 to a friend for a hundred so I think I'm making out okay. After carrying the 60 for so many years in two types of carry, pocket and ankle, I decided an internal hammer design was better suited. It's nice on walks home in a coat pocket since you can shoot right through it. Also, the little extra weight feels better on my ankle and pocket. I looked at the titanium 342 but they are so light as to not even feel like a gun (for me anyway,a nd they kick like mules) So IMHO the 442/642 guns are the perfect compromise. I would have prefered the 642 in stainless finish for its durability but this deal was too good to pass up. And blue guns have an advantage at night by not being seen as easy if its in your hand....

I am planning on buying a Taurus 617 for backup soon. 7 rounds of 357 Magnum.

I am sure many folks here knew this pic/post was coming.... :)

My Total Titanium Taurus M85 and my Stainless Taurus M85 have both served me perfectly. I am 100% satisfied.

my2taurus85s.jpg

I've never had a lot of confidence in snub 38's, so I opted for the Charter arms Bulldog in 44 special, 2.5" bull bbl, no snag hammer, etc., admittidly, its a gun to be carried much and shot little. The recoil is fierce for such a light gun. No matter for a backup though. That was my backup awhile back, now the backup for my Colt 45 is..... is......A Glock 21!:D

Oh I did get to shoot my friends SP101 357 Mag, I was very impressed with it overall.

Lightsped -
I like the one with them balanced on the filmcans better. :D

A S&W 38 Airweight Bodyguard is what I carry always too. Light weight, shoots good, loaded with +p 158 gr. Federal SWC-HP.

I used to use a 640, loaded the same, but the airweight is so much lighter. I'm looking for a deal on a 642 though. Get too much lint in thru the hammer now.

Two Taurus revolvers?...what did you buy with the rest of the fifty dollar bill? :)

BTW..I'm taking my new smith to Yosemite for some nice Ansel Adams type shops....I'll show you Taurus guys .....:p

I think he's just about got me. I've been debating back and forth on a 38 and/or 357 snubby, and been primarily looking at a used smith of some kind....BUT I've seen those pics of Lightsped's guns so many times that I think I might be leaning to the Taurus side. Price is good, I like the looks, warranty is nice, and although some don't like Taurus for one reason or the other, that can be said about smiths, rugers, and colts too. Keep showing those beauties Lightsped, I'm almost there.

Hold off RH, I'm in the park right waiting for the morning sun to bounce off my 442 as it sits on a rock in front of a cascading waterfall...I guess I should have brought the stainless for this shot but what the hey......

Don't shoot,
Everyone likes a little ass, no one likes a smartass!:D
I like the Ruger SP101 3" myself. In fact, that is the piece
I usually carry. Have a better day and keep'em in the 10's!

I agree with yorec. The sp 101 is a wonderful little gun. And with a pretty stout trigger pull(14lbs) and rugers transfer bar safety it is almost impossible to fire accidentally. You also have the power options from light 38's to 38spec to 38+p to 357 mag depending on the power you want and you tolenace for recoil. The 17/8" barrel is a handful with 357mag loads.

I like the 101 also, great primanry gun but as a back up it is a bit heavy (10 ounces more than the 442) and the extra inch of barrel limits your carry options.....

I have carried a j frame in a pocket for years. I like the 940 in heavier pants like blue jeans or in an ankle holster. In my testing the 940 shot all loads but one at higher velocities than a 3" .357. I used the mod 38 but have replaced it with the 342. If the 342 is too expensive look at the 638.

Back