List of top shotgun instructors/schools (tactical, SD, and HD)

ezmiraldo

Who do you guys consider some of the best tactical, self-defense, and home-defense shotgun instructors out there?

Use of shotgun seems to be a "disappearing art", and many instructors, in my locale at least, do not seem to have any interest (or expertise) in teaching it. I've tried search function and cannot seem to find list of true experts on this platform, who appreciate this platform.

Are we talking usual suspects (e.g., gunsite, thunder ranch), or other experts who aren't widely known? Hopefully, an up-to-date list of such trainers would be useful to more people than just myself. So, let's hear it!

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Is the Thunder Ranch dvd worth $50? I've been thinking about getting it for a while. I've magpul dvd course -- which is great. Surprisingly, they do not cover how to address any shotgun malfunctions, which was disappointing, since they thoroughly cover pretty much everything else (including how to turn a buckshot round into a slug).

You dont say where you are located. Lots of good instructors out there. Some working at "schools" some free lancing

Give us a clue on your location and lets see where we can steer you

The question was, is $50 for a 2 hour DVD worth it.
That's an individual/personal question only the potential buyer can answer.

I now see you've already obtained the 5+ hour Magpul video set. Perhaps in-person training might benefit you more at this point. Again, this is a personal decision with factors of cost, time, and personal-priorities.

Some of the videos are very dated and the instructors may be now retired or even deceased. Use the search words "shotgun" and "dvd". Then research where these instructors are or what schools they were representing at the time.

Another concern had to do with shotgun-malfunctions. That may be more of a gunsmithing/armorer issue. It will also have to do with one's specific firearm or semiauto vs. pump vs. single-shot-break-open.

During the gunfight is typically not the time to be repairing the gun, but proper technique and prior equipment maintenance & familiarity is recommended. Shooting one's shotgun (often and with many rounds) will give one the experience of what may occur with that shotgun and how to quickly fix it, if possible.

Should a malfunction occur, a reflexive decision will need to be made as to what-to-do. Transitioning to one's handgun is a common remedy.

I'm currently in south NM area, but will be moving to western NY area -- near Buffalo (yeah, some might be questioning my sanity, I know...).

Sure, you should take care of known problems yourself or by seeing a smith, but stuff happens and whether or not a problem should have been dealt with in advance one might find themselves with a jammed weapon at the worse possible time. If they do, I think the OP is thinking that there should be some instruction in how to deal with one. For example, slamming a pump's butt on the ground to eject a stuck shell from the chamber.

Last edited:
Back