liquid application for night sights

johnblackstone

I read of a product called 20/20 which was a liquid you could apply to your sights, and it was supposed to be glow in the dark.

Anyone heard of this stuff or used it?

Couldn't find it on the web..

I have seen this stuff at gun shows looks all right but it has to have a light source befor it glows? Like on some watches?? if you put it up near a light it glows bright but after a while it goes away...I would buy realy ones either (hesco) i belive that the name or good old trijcon.

Will you be shooting at a target you cannot see? Chasing crimminals on a moonless night.

Forget the night sights!!!!

Get a good tactical flashlight, or even a $10 dollar one from the hardware store.
Rayovac makes a good one for $8 and it has an on off switch you can work rapidly with one hand, 2 AA penlight batteries and a swivel head.

noght sights improve your visibility some in practical situations (like a light on the perp).

Try seeing your white dots in the pitch dark of your basement or bedroom. can you see well enough to make out the target or do you need aflashlight to be sure????

You don't want to shoot your neighbor's 17 year old son sneaking back from a date at 2:00 AM (unless with your daughter!)

Night sights are a lovely fashion accessory for the wealthy and for LEOS who still must use a flashlight to illuminate the target
(except in NY where you can put 34 rounds into the wrong guy at his own front door)

------------------
Master Blaster

I do have a $4.95 jar of the luminous paint
carefully applied with a sable brush and use with a flashlight, it does improve visibility. I bought mine at the sports authority. I think it was a brownells?? product. I will get the name off the package later.

Try experimenting with a flashlight. you really do want to see the target as well as the sights.

What would the jury verdict be if you said that although you could see the nite sites you could not see the unfortunate victim because it was too dark.

------------------
Master Blaster

I have to agree with Blaster on this. I too would like some PT night sites but the glow in the dark paint will work just as well. The use of a flash light is imperative. I would spend the money spent on night sites for a really good light. I use a Surfire 6Z but there are other good quality lights out there. I have tried the dark house experiment and I discovered that if I had enough light to see a body I also had enough light to see my sites. Of course once I turn my flash light on I can see everything.
I like to hold my flashlight by my shoulder so it illuminates both my sites and the BG. This also allows the BG to see there is a gun pointed at him (a popular deterant to crime).

------------------
"It is easier to get out of jail then it is a morgue"
Live long and defend yourself!
John 3:16

I bought a products similar to this from The Sportsmans Guide for about $5. It comes as a two-part paint - one primer, and one with the glow pigment. I applied it with a toothpick and it seems to work nicely. The only complaint I have is that if it is in the holster, the rear sight is exposed to ambient light but the front site is shaded completely. On the "brighter" side though, it only takes a second or two of light to get them to glow. It's not as good as real trijicon sights, but considering the $5 price tag (and that gives you enough to do a dozen or so guns) it's worth the extra measure of visibilty. For a full-time CCW gun though, I'd probably cough up the extra few bucks and get a good set of REAL night sites.
-John

This isnt abut paint or trijicons or the use of flashlights......
I was recently given some of these hiviz light tubes. The came in a pack with a little snap on holder for a non-ribbed shotgun barrel. It was interesting to see how well they worked in gathering light and how quickly my eye focused on them. Now that last part got me to wondering if on my j frame if I layed a tube in the groove how fast it could be, I tried the same thing with my fixed sighted k-frames and the results were the same---my eyes are not what they used to be, so this aids me in acquiring the front sight quickly. This is by no means reliable yet because I cant find a way to gurantee other than my grip that the pistol is aligned properly. Im looking at the possiblilty of trying some of these tubes on my fixed sighted revolvers and it does seem like a good alternative to trijicons for most situations---for me the benefit is picking up that front site quickly...fubsy.

Back