• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Links to ads in sig lines?

Legionnaire

There is an interesting discussion going on over at THR, where they are about to institute a new set of policies that will affect both private and commercial sales on the site. No comment on those changes. But the discussion has raised an interesting question. It seems that some have, on occasion, included links to their business sites, or even to threads in the Buy/Sell/Trade forums, in their signature lines. Is that kosher here on TFL? Would it be acceptable, for instance, for me to do the following with my signature?

Cogito, ergo armor.
For Sale: R&D Conversion Cylinder for Pietta 1858 Remington.

I hadn't thought of this before. Don't know if I like the idea or not, but I might avail myself of it occasionally ... if acceptable.

We allow links to businesses, generally as long as they are firearms related.

As for links to active sales in the Gun Show Forums, Shane Tuttle or Mal H would be the ones to answer that question.

I'll second that, Legionnaire. The number of available lines able to be posted in members' sig line were limited sometime back. That toned down the over the top billboard signs for their businesses.

If a person is eligible to post in the Gun Show forum, then they should be able to stick it in their sig line. The key to continue to be able to do so, however, is to follow the Gun Show forum rules. If they're not followed, and ones' post has been deleted, the link will not work.

Back