Linear Compensators

jackstrawIII

Hey guys,

I live in a state wherein suppressors are illegal, but I'm looking for a way to limit the noise and blast of my rifles as much as possible when hunting. It looks like the only option for me would be a linear comp.

Here are my questions:
1. Does a compensator actually make an appreciable difference with noise and muzzle blast of a rifle?
2. Does it increase recoil? Decrease recoil? Or not affect it in any way?
3. Finally, the barrel in question is a 6.5 caliber. Doesn't seem to be many comps on the market in this caliber, despite how popular the various 6.5 caliber cartridges are. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Ps. Thread pitch is 5/8-24.

1. It reduces muzzle blast to the shooter and people next to the shooter. I have shot a linear comp next to a brake and an a2 bird cage. I would say it redirects blast and sound away, not that it reduces it. But there is a noticeable difference going fown from brake to flash hider, and flash hider to linear comp.

2. I have found no change in perceived recoil with 223 or 30-06

3. You dont need a 6.5 specific linear comp. As long as the comp size is equal to or larger than the bullet

I would reccomended the kaw valley linear comps. Reasonable price, good quality, work well. About $40 plus shipping https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Kaw-Valley-Precision-30cal-Linear-Comp-5-8x24-Blac-p/kvp-linear308-blk.htm

thread pitch

A standard .30 cal muzzle device will work just fine at the muzzle of your .65CM. I've thought about a linear comp on some of my rifles, but have held off as I did not want to add to the length of piece for convenience sake.

I've thought about a linear comp on some of my rifles, but have held off as I did not want to add to the length of piece for convenience sake.

Yeah, that’s a thought, but I’m so curious I’ll probably give it a try.

I'd also recommend the Kaw Valley. Got one on my ar and like it unlike the barking muzzle brakes. I almost bought a second one just to weld a tube as a surround so it would stick into my the handguard on my Ruger Ar556 MPR like a false suppressor but didn't want to deal with questions.

I have used linear compensators for a number of years. They do not reduce recoil much if any. They decrease the noise to the shooter a little bit. They do not negatively affect accuracy IME. If you want to reduce noise to the shooter, try a bloop tube, I believe the ATF still allows them. Basically a bloop tube blows the blast and the noise forward. They are basically an open chamber that screws onto the barrel and is open to the front.

Back