Lightweight frames for 1911s.

Erik

What are your opinions on aluminum frames versus steel ones? I'm looking to aquire an officers size 1911, and cannot deside between the two.

Thanks in advance,

Erik

I carry an Officers size 1911 in steel. I like the steel frame for it's weight. The weight isn't hard to carry in a good holster and it helps soak up reciol when firing.

Just my opinion...

Mikey

I have an alloy framed commander and a stainless full sized 1991 with a stainless frame.. the commaner is quit a bit lighter but it does give you more muzzle flip than a standard steel 45. The alloy frames get scratched up faster than a blue finish will. I still think the steel frames last longer than the alloy ones.

FWIW,

Dr.Rob

I have a CCO which is my main carry gun, and it has the lite wt. officers frame mated to the Comm. slide. The frame according to the specs. I obtained from Colt is a proprietary aluminum/titanium alloy. T6 or something they call it. I have over 2k rds through the gun with 99% of them being full loads. Mostly Fed Hydra shock and GS 230 grains. No appreciable wear at all. The feed ramp is just beginning to show some of the bluing wearing off, but you have to look hard to see that. The rails are getting polished nice on the frame too. The gun is just as tight or not depending on you look at it as it was the day I purchased it. It is also forged. I haven't had one bobble in all that either. Not one. So I would think Colt got it right for this one. I don't think I would go back to a heavier gun now. I don't shoot alot of +P through it but didn't when I owned my all steel Gov't's either. I have shot +P's through it though, and it does have a bit of muzzle flip but the gun indexes so well hand high in the hand it comes back down on target really well. Get the lite wt. you will like it better. My opinion though

Erik, My primary carry gun is a Colt Lightweight Officer's ACP. The gun has at least 7000 rounds through it with no evidence of excessive wear. Actually I feel it's finally broken in. Mark /FL

Erik:
It has been my experience; the alloy frames donot fair as well as steel. Having built several 1911's on the light frames, their durability is considerably less than steel.

When using the heavier loads they become more precarious. Cracked receivers, damaged rails are quite common, accuracy deriates quite quickly, especially in a training enviornment. And as the others have stated, tgt accusition is harder to maintain during recoil.

HJN

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited December 30, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited December 30, 1999).]

If you are concerned about the durability of the alloy frame, have Accu-rails installed. That effectively gives you steel rails on an alloy frame. Also install a Sprinco recoil reducer to lower the impact to the frame.

Kimber makes a sub-Officers size 1911 with a very tough aluminum frame called the Ultra Carry. I've found mine to be light enough to live with, but still very controllable - the perfect CCW gun (if I could get a #$@! permit). On the other hand I wouldn't want to put hundreds of rounds a day through it just because the recoil is a bit too stout for an everyday shooter.

As far as durability goes Kimber uses a modern alloy (7075-T7) that's very hard extremely tough. It's nothing like the stuff Colt used to use, and is even tougher than the stuff that Para Ordnance uses. Kimber claims that their alloy pistols show no measurable wear after 20,000 rounds.

If you are looking for a concealed carry gun and can handle a bit of recoil then alloy is great. If you just looking for a range toy/ pillow piece or a duty weapon for uniformed carry then stick with steel.

erik,
this is one area where i do have a strong personal opinion. if it ain't a kimber 1911 aluminum frame, i personally wouldn't trust it. i don't know of any other manufacturer who is machining their aluminum frames out of the best aircraft grade aluminum available. i've got tons of rounds through the ultra and pro carry series, but my hands-down favorite is the compact aluminum. i've probably got 10k+ rounds through one such gun with no signs of wear and it's still my favorite. heck, as sholling says, kimber is advertising that their in-house aluminum compact has seen 20k (what they don't tell you is that they also fired 4 proof loads through it- OUCH)- they've inadvertantly set the standard for replacement. if i have an aluminum frame that fails before 20k rounds even 10 years from now, i'm demanding a new frame. but the main point is, i have yet to hear anything about kimber aluminum frame failure (please tell us if anyone has heard anything, i'd love to know!!)- and it was a para alloy frame failure after just 1500 rounds that made me go to plastic for a long time.

happy 2000!
joe

------------------
www.skdtac.com
tactical accessories for self-defense and le

Back