Lights and lasers – useful sighting devices or gimmick?

Living on a farm raising chickens, ducks, turkeys etc. can be very satisfying, however It can quickly turn to tragedy when predators start killing your animals. I was experiencing this and it was time to put a stop to it! What I decided I needed was a gun that could easily be brought into use at night when the killing rampages usually take place.

Where to start? First I picked the gun I wanted to use. In this case I chose one that had multiple picatinny rails to attach lasers and various other accessories to. Many rifles made to have the military look come with these rails. If your rifle doesn’t have them, they can easily be added.

The next thing needed was a powerful light (you can’t shoot what you can’t see), but how bright? Brightness levels are measured in lumens, but it seems some manufacturers just make up a lumen figure and publish it as I have seen lights rated as 90 lumens throw more light than ones rated much higher by another manufacturer. After much research I decided on one it turned out to be the right decision, as it easily allows me to determine a cat from a dog, or a dog from a fox at 100 yards. The light is powerful enough without being excessively big and heavy.

Now, for the laser, there are basically two types to choose from, red ones and green ones. The green ones can be seen during the day as well as at night, while the red ones are limited to use in the evening, night and dawn. You have two methods of activating the laser (this is also true for the light). You can choose to use a switch on the device itself, or attach a remote pressure control switch. The pressure switch can be mounted anywhere you desire by means of double-sided tape. Once in place, the device is activated by pressing your finger against the pad. The device stays on as long as you apply pressure. When you release the pressure, it turns off.

One of the best things about using a laser as a sighting device is that there is no sight to look through, therefore giving you an unlimited field of view! You don’t even need to bring the rifle up to your shoulder, you can shoot just as accurately from the hip or, if you are sitting (as when in a tree stand), from the lap.

My experience in using a laser as a sight has been very positive. I remember late one evening when I could see a rabbit in some brush, but when looking through my scope the magnifying effect on the brush made it next to impossible to distinguish the rabbit. Lowering my rifle, I turned on the laser, placed the dot on the rabbit and fired. Worked like a charm!

So, are lights and lasers on a rifle a gimmick? Considering that I shot a fox one night around 2:00 a.m. using both, I would say definitely not!
Ted

I do not know your situation.
I know that I have to have a very carefully evaluated situation before I am willing to launch rifle ammo at night.I have to know where the bullet will stop.

Livestock and people may be somewhere you do not expect them to be.

There is something to be said for a shotgun with DeadCoyote or equivalent loads.

Not telling you how to live,just something to consider.

There is something to be said for a shotgun with DeadCoyote or equivalent loads.
I'd be more concerned with where all those pellets would go than I would over one projectile

A shotgun to protect your animals can be worthless in many situations

I've never shot any predator where a miss didn't simply end up in the ground, unless it was a possum or a coon in a tree

Livestock and people may be somewhere you do not expect them to be.
No one is advocating shots at unidentified targets

Snyper,I'm accustomed to one sq mile sections and farms in rural areas.

Sometimes ranchers have reason to check stock at night .Folks and animals move around.

Whether it is a .22 that will go a mile or a centerfire that will go three miles,I myself hesitate to launch a projectile into darkness.

It has nothing to do with shooting at unknown targets.It has to do with shooting into the unknown.

The exception might be shooting down or into a hill.My point was to know where the bullet stops.

No shot round has the long range of a rifle round.

I also began by telling the OP I did not know his situation nor was I telling him how to live.

I do not understand the purpose of your feedback.

I just feel some things are self evident, but maybe not. For the record I know my land and will not shoot in some directions. In this particular case the fox was at close range. Both I and the fox were standing. As I am a lot taller than the fox, a miss would be headed downhill to the ground. Beyond the fox was woods, so it was a very safe shot to make. If I had used a shotgun I would have killed the fox just as dead, however, I would also have killed the chicken he had taken.

Lights on civie guns have been around for the better part of 2 decades (maybe longer - don't recall that far) and are gaining in popularity all the time as the price of lights goes down and the capability goes up. They show a fairly wide acceptance amongst SD folks and hunters. So no, they are not a gimmick. Lasers have failed to gain the popularity, but also have a fair longevity. They do seem to be shunned by a lot more people who are more prone to discount their utility. It is very limited as compared to lights and often use of the laser must be accompanied by the use of a light (unless using NV and then ideally IR lasers).

I do have a good chuckle at the folks I hunt with that use lasers. They seem to spend more time playing with the lasers, sorry, verifying zero and assessing visual parameters :D, than actually hunting with them.

Regardless of whether anybody thinks what you use is a gimmick, however, doesn't matter. If you have a product or products that work for you in your situation, then that is what matters.

I do not understand the purpose of your feedback.
I don't understand why you assume anyone would be shooting into the "unknown" when the discussion is about shooting predators attacking your animals.

No shot round has the long range of a rifle round.

A shotgun is worthless when a coon or fox is in the middle of your flock of birds.

I do have a good chuckle at the folks I hunt with that use lasers. They seem to spend more time playing with the lasers, sorry, verifying zero and assessing visual parameters , than actually hunting with them.
I've always found them to be slower to use than plain sights, but I can see where they would be beneficial for close range predator control at night

Back