Lightest standard-brand rifle?

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Ruger, Winchester, Remington, Savage: Which makes the lightest lightweight/featherweight? The gunstores of Thomasville, GA, just don't have the info. :(

I'm mumbling about working up a 7mm-08, starting with whichever is lightest to begin with. Then, a light-as-feasible synthetic stock, if those are available in lighter-than-wood.

Is Canjar still in business? I haven't noticed an ad in the gun mags, not that that means anything...Anyhow, if I can't get the trigger as crisp as I like, I'd go that route.

Either a 1X5 scope or a 2X7...

I have a little Sako in .243 which weighs in at seven pounds, ready to hunt. I'd like to shave at least 1/2 pound off that, maybe a pound...

I figure to handload light bullets for coyotes; 139-grain (as I recall the book) for deer...I'm not concerned about groups from more than three shots. Consistent "cold barrel" shots are more important.

Info appreciated, Art

I know you are probably looking for a list of exact stats, but I can tell you that the new Colt light rifle is the lightest full size "standard" rifle I've ever held with a scope mounted on it. I think it is supposed to retail around $600.....

Yeah, it's great. But it's a COLT. Colt is WAY down on my list, after the way they screwed us on their discontinuing defense pistols. DON'T give them a single thin *dime*!!! Yes, I hear those little rifles are the greatest thing sinced sliced bread, but if it means my money went to Colt, I wouldn't have one at half the price. Check with Rich about what their chairman's been doing with his money. Large donations to Chuck Schumer, and more. This is an example of a gun company that hates guns, but loves money.

I built up a Rem M7/7-08 18.5"bbl for The Wife. (Partial to Rems) A shooter-seller friend from Cabella's dropped by yesterday & he says new M7s have the 20" bbl. 7-08's a nice mid-range caliber.

"Anyhow, if I can't get the trigger as crisp as I like, I'd go that route."

The Wife's M7 has THE best trigger in the gun rack. Personally adjusted & it came out just toot sweet.

"Either a 1X5 scope or a 2X7"

It sports the Leupold compact 2X7 -again, sweet.

"I'm not concerned about groups from more than three shots. Consistent "cold barrel" shots are more important."

Yup, but don't discount these li'l shooters. We've a 4-shot ~.6" target/group (this with Rem factory 139s) hanging on the fridge. Only problem, if you can call it that, with the shorter bbls is you don't get the velocity & being lightweight, they can be a pain on the bench - quiet a bit of movement due to the (lack of) weight.

Liked hers so much I went out the next week & bought one for myself in .308 ;)

Rem. model 7- slightly over 6#
Win. model 70 classic compact 6.5# (if you can find one)
Savage Sierra- slightly over 6# Good luck

Thanks, guys. It so happened I went down to Tallahassee, today, and stopped in at Kevin's--truly a large-scale huntin' & fishin' store.

A salesman showed me lightweights by Remington (stainless), Winchester and Browning. The Winchester bolt-operation felt the best. Smoothest, least slop and rattle. Comparatively, it was an "A" against two "C-" efforts.

I was told of the Weatherby Ultra Lite; they've had two in, both in 7mm-08--but sold instantly. 5-3/4 pounds sure sounds like a heckuva start!

Thanks again, Art

Yeah, and I know you've no complaints with a Weatherby! You know, an ultralight in 7mm-08 can get done just about anything you'd want to get done, Art! Bit more oomph! than that little .243 of yours, too.

Back