Lightest loads used in black powder pistols?

scotjute

Just started shooting .22lr subsonic no powder ammo and was wondering, has anyone ever tried to pop out a lead ball out of a C&B revolver with just the cap? If so what happened?

If not what is the lowest powder load you've used and what were the results?

(I've got .36 cal. Colt Navy, Italian replica)
Thanks.

The why for lightest load would be to use the black powder revolver as a very light plinker, sort of the same reason they make
no powder .22lr.
The lightest load I've ever used has been 15 grns. of FFF in .36
cal shooting roundballs. What happens if you just load 5 grns. of
FFF? Is it enough to send out the ball or is it likely to get stuck?
Just curious if anyone has ever tried it. Rather than experiment myself would like to know if someone else has tried it an d results.

It's embarrassing but when I first began shooting BP there were a couple of times that I missed loading a shot with powder and mistakenly rammed a ball into the cylinder. The ball when fired with just a cap will usually clear the cylinder but stop short of the muzzle and have to be pushed out or worm-jagged out.
Dumb thing to do....lets not get into chain fires either ok? I think we have a couple of threads here already about doing stuff like that.:rolleyes:

bought a 36 cal pepperbox, and didn't have any 36 cal balls, so I shoved a lead 38 bullet down the tube, over a 9 mm case load of powder. Mild pop, and could actually watch the bullet in flight, was pretty neat. They looked like you had tossed them underhand.

Back