Lighter Bullets for M1

akinswi

I have been tinkering with lighter bullets for reduced distances for 1 and 200 yards

My first Test I did 5 shot groups started with 47, 47.5 , 48, 48.5, 49 grains of IMR 4895 with speers 125 grain TNT. and the groups were not great but the group sizes were the same. 2inches at 50yards

I set the COL to 3.20. So Im wondering if I need to seat them deeper ? My new criterion barrel will shoot dime sized groups with 168s but im trying to reduce recoil with the lighter bullets for rapid fire stage

CMP forums guys claim they are shooting good scores with this bullet. But Im banging my head on the wall because I cant get them too group.

Im surprise they group well for anyone out 1/10 twist really fast for lighter bullets, Tying too keep them under 3000fps

thanks

01-21-2021, 10:08 PM
I routinely load 100 grain Speer “Plinkers” for the 30 carbine. They are very nice shooters with consistently reliable cycling.

I don’t suspect there would be any significant difference between these and the 95 grain pills.
Folklore,

30 carbine barrel twist I believe is 1/20 way slower than M1 garands 1/10 also the carbine is a straight wall cartridge vs bottleneck.

I have shot sierras 110 grainers out of my M1 Garand and they explode milk jugs but for me that was all they were good for.

My apologies if I didn’t specifiy M1 carbine and not an M1 Garand

Try seeing how slow you can get them to go and still cycle. Also, try a bulkier powder like VV N135. You may be having wobble problems due to the fast spin.

I was looking at faster and bulkier to better make gas fast enough to chase the light bullet down the bore. an135 works well and IMR 3032 is closer to it than 4064.

Back