Light vs. heavy bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.

cornered rat

I have made my choice at last. It is based on the comfort in shooting more than on expected performance. I found that the flash and noise of 110-grain .38 loads in a 2" snubbie requires me to guard always against flinching. While 158-grain loads loaded to max raise the barrel more, the muzzle flash is minimal and noise is much less bothersome. Thus, 158gr JHP will be my choice for the S&W 49. Now I need to see if I can shoot it in the alloy gun as well...

In an autoloader, I would be tempted to go with heavier bullets merely for increased recoil-->reliability of cycling. Will have to test that theory more before i make any changes, though.

I think you have made the right choice. Neither of those bullets will expand reliably from a two inch barrel, but if they should expand, you will get adequate penetration from the 158 gr. and very shallow penetration from the 110 gr. The 158 gr. SWC that doesn't expand is a slightly more destructive bullet design than an unexpanded JHP. Another plus for the 158 gr. is that they will shoot much closer to the point of aim with those S&W fixed sights than the lighter bullets. The two essential factors in stopping power are adequate penetration and accurate shot placement. Expansion is great if you can get it, but its not something you can count on in a two inch .38 without sacrificing adequate penetration. Still, there has been plenty of thugs put in the morgue by the .38 SPL. Just ask Jim Cirillo.

Good choice CR...
The 158 grain bullet squeezes all the juice out of the .38...
The plain lead hollow point in this grainage is my favored load for it. Even more so than Gold Dots or Hydras. The Magsafes are the Best for shear nastiness- but so very spendy.
I am starting to shy away from my beloved Magsafes for that reason.
Looking for a suitable .380 load now... But I dont even want to think about that right now.

------------------
Not all Liberals are annoying... Some are Dead.
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back