light transmission through optics

• Thread starter Thread starter olazul
  • Start date Start date
O

olazul

I am researching scopes for a new rifle- a weatherby stainless carbine. Anyway, in order to make an informed decision it seems that some necessary information is missing. That is the amount/percentage of light that is trasmitted through the scope.

Now before you all get started, I know about the exit pupil- the objective lens diameter in mm divided by the power, and it's theoretical correlation with the diameter of the pupil- i.e. if a pupils max diameter is 5-7mm then an exit pupil greater than this will be wasted.

Also some of the companies publish how much light is transmitted through their coatings.

What I am interested in however, is what percentage of light is actually transmitted through the entire assembled scope- through the objective, all lenses(coated), and transmitted to your eye.

This seems like the only pertinent info when regarding the "brightness" of scope/binoculars as a system and not one company seems to publish this information- only how much penetrates through their coating.

Of course other variables are published such as FOV and eye relief are common knowledge.

It seems like it would be easy enough to measure- how much light generated form a point source and how much collected on the other end(not rocket science). Or even measuring against a standard, but this is not included.

edited to add this: I forgot about resolution- never anything said about this. Or how about reproducibility of returning to center or how well the scope holds the same zero through all magnifications.

I do not have the necessary information to make a good decision in this area.

Or am I missing something?

not so blissfully ignorant,

Olazul

Back