Light target load in autoloader

adad

I'm thinking of getting a Beretta 390 autoloader. Question: will it cycle this light target load shell from Winchester?

Shell: AA Target Loads - Low Recoil/Low Noise
Shot Size: 8
Guage: 12
Shell Length: 2.75
Powder Dram Equivilant: 2.50
Shot Weight: 26 grms.
Velocity: 980

Also, any suggestions on where to find a good, used 390 for a great price?

Thanks!

------------------
Wound ballistics is the study of effects on the body produced by penetrating projectiles:
Wound Ballistics

Great daily commentary from a thoughtful Christian perspective:
Daily Commentary

I do not own a beretta 390, but I shoot sporting clays in a squad that has two. I shot with these guys quite a bit this past summer and I didn't see one malfunction! I know for a fact that one guy is using Federal #7 1/2 and #8 promo. loads. You know, the ones you see at Wal-mart in the 4 box carton for $17.00. Everybody is using 2 3/4 or 3 dram loads(3 dram is max ). I have seen a few 1187's and 1100's fail to eject.And I saw an old Winchester super-X jam up pretty bad.The Beretta 390 semi. seems to me to be the best auto around!
( by the way, I havent seen a Benelli in action, so i cant compare! )

CALVIN
" IM THE NRA "

Hi Adad,

I own an AL390 and I agree with CJB, it is the sweetest firing semi-auto shotgun out there. While I haven't fired the load you mention, I have used the Light Target 2.75 dram, 1-1/8 oz loads (#9 shot). No problems at all.

I'm not sure why you would want the Low Recoil/Low Noise rounds. The AL390 is the softest recoiling semi-auto out there. From the wording of your question, it sounds like you are just asking a "what if..." question. It is an interesting question and I would also like to know the answer.

This question can also be applied to all auto-loaders. What is the lightest dram/payload combination that will still allow a [insert shotgun name here] to cycle reliably?

------------------
"Ray guns don't vaporize Zorbonians, Zorbonians vaporize Zorbonians" The Far Side

I've been shooting sporting clays with a 390 with a 30" bbl for 4 years, and it will handle the 7/8 oz "low recoil" training loads that you describe. A friend of mine with the same gun had some problems with the same load, but had a 'smith drill out the gas ports slightly and it runs fine now.

You cannot go wrong with this shotgun, and I agree with the comments above that the low recoil loads are not necessary. I am a wimp when it comes to recoil sensitivity, and I shoot 250 - 300 rounds per session with 3 dram 1 1/8 oz loads without a flinch.

[This message has been edited by Bud1 (edited February 04, 2000).]

I shoot two Remington 1100s. They never miss a beat with the 2.75 dram loads. I reload a 1 1/16 oz load at 1140 fps that works everytime. However, neither will eject the 2.5 dram factory loads.

Neil Casper

Thanks for the replies! Now I guess I just have to find that great deal on a used Beretta AL390! Maybe they'll have some at the gun show coming up in a few weeks...

------------------
Wound ballistics is the study of effects on the body produced by penetrating projectiles:
Wound Ballistics

Daily Commentary

ADAD, you should be able to find many used AL390's now that Beretta has come out with the 391. Sporting clays shooter are a pack of sheep and eagerly switch to whatever the newest "IN" gun is.

Six years ago when I first started shooting Sporting, everyone was shooting the Browning GTI, two years later there were so many used GTI's around you couldn't give them away as people switched to another model that was popular. If you have a Trap/skeet range ner you check the gun racks or bulletin board, you should be able to find one cheap.

If you do get a 390 and it won't cycle the light loads, check with Cole gunsmithing, they sell a set of springs to allow the gun to be shot with lighter or heavier loads.

Geoff Ross

[This message has been edited by K80Geoff (edited February 06, 2000).]

I've been shooting a BERETTA 390 in Sportingclays competition for over 3 years now. It is in my humble opinion its the finest semi-auto shotgun made.

The only time I have ever had any malfunctions, other than poor reloads, have been when I broke a part or something. Keep in mind that I shot approx 40,000 shells per year. I have broken a coupel of connecting rods, a hammer brace, and a firing pin spring. Big deal. All of these part I replaced myself, on the course. With only a simple drift punch. I routinely go 2500 shells between cleaning, sometimes more.

As far as the Winchester low noise/low recoil load goes, mine will cycle it sometimes, but as somebody pointed out, who cares? It is soooo soft shooting, you can easily handle a soft 1 ounce load, and they will run on that all day.

Its my understanding that the new 391 is even better in that regard. Some shooters seem to like the new 391 better, some still like the 390. The good folks @ SEMINOLE GUNWORKS tell me that customers are buying up all the remaining 390's so as to have spares after the supply of 390's run out. I've got 2 now, so I'm not worried, besides it looks like alot of the parts are interchangable.

I haven't been shooting much over the past couple of months, so I've not seen the new 391's much[they just started shipping], but tournament season is starting up, and its time to get back to the range. I'm supposed to be switching to a new BERETTA o/u, but I won't be selling my trusty 390's just yet!

------------------
Stay Sharp!

Will Fennell/CAMILLUS CUTLERY

Geoff, I hope you're right about the 390s coming down because of the new 391s. I had heard about the new model (just that it existed, nothing more) and was hoping that the 390s would get cheaper just as you descibe.

BTW: what does the 391 design supposedly offer that the 390 didn't?

------------------
Wound Ballistics

Daily Commentary

I've recently seen two 391's in stores, but have not fired one. From what I saw, the 391 has a much, much trimmer fore-end, rounded receiver and redesigned pistol grip. A significant improvement, for me, over the feel of the AL390. I won't go so far as to compare it to the feel of the Super Black Eagle -- but it is getting there. I would buy one now, but duck season is over and already spent the $$$$ on a Kimber S/S Gold Match. Oh well, payday is coming up.... John

It's probably no help, but most of the guys at our trap club prefer the older A303.
In fact, the guy who owns the store who sold me mine has been pestering me to buy it back and HE says it's better than the 390.
I don't know. Just relating a statement.

Back