Light Strike

Groundhog34

I have a Steyr 40c. It has 700 trouble free rounds. Today the first time I pulled the trigger I had a light primer strike. The gun was in battery and had been in a holster for about a month. The primer was struck lightly at the 6 O'Clock position. The round fired when re-chambered. I then fired another 100 rounds without issue. Any ideas?

If the primer was hit at 6 o’clock, it doesnt sound like it was in battery. My guess is the strike was actually at 12 (not 6) and the barrel was slightly tilted down

If the primer was hit at 6 o’clock, it doesnt sound like it was in battery.
Correct. A light strike at 6 O'clock is symptomatic of a tilting barrel, locked breech pistol that is slightly out of battery.

Sounds like, at some point during the month it was holstered, something happened that moved the slide out of battery. Does the holster fit the gun properly? It's possible that the holster itself pushed the slide slightly out of battery because it doesn't fit the gun right.

Another possibility could be an oversized round that didn't allow the slide to close fully. However, the fact that the round ejected easily and fed and fired when tried a second time makes that possibility unlikely.

I have a Steyr 40c. It has 700 trouble free rounds. Today the first time I pulled the trigger I had a light primer strike. The gun was in battery and had been in a holster for about a month. The primer was struck lightly at the 6 O'Clock position. The round fired when re-chambered. I then fired another 100 rounds without issue. Any ideas?

Problem going fully into battery.

Clean it good, lube per the manual. Possibly, if this is a problem that's ongoing, gently polish sliding surfaces where they contact. (Gently. Polish. Put that Dremmel away.)

Back