Light serial numbers

gunslinger2000

In the process of transferring our collection to computer, I discovered some s/ns that are so light they are now almost unreadable. Do I need to do anything? I know law enforcement can raise if necessary. Have several from before s/ns required. Any advantage to assigning my own like I do with the guns I build. Thanks in advance for advise on either issue. gunslinger

Any advantage to assigning my own like I do with the guns I build.
Hmmm, to get to the best answer, I suppose I would turn that question around... in two ways.

1) Is there any disadvantage to assigning my own serial number?
2) Is there any disadvantage to not doing anything about this possible problem?

My answers...
1) certainly is a disadvantage to cutting a new number in to the metal of an old firearm. Obviously, it's altering an otherwise original gun. It's simply not possible to do this without lowering the "value" of the firearm (no matter if it's worth a bunch or worth very little) and there's no possible way that it's going to look good, because it's obviously not going to match everything else stamped on the firearm. It's going to look like what it is... something added YEARS later. And there's also the work involved in doing it.

2) I just can't see any disadvantage to doing absolutely nothing. The law states that you cannot even attempt to remove a serial number. The rest is ambiguous. A number that is fading or was never there all to clearly from the get-go is well out of your hands and there is no legal ramifications to it, and it is nobody's business in the world.

Record the number in your records/computer, take many pictures and get good pictures. Beyond that, I wouldn't do a thing and I wouldn't bring it up again. And for sure, I wouldn't contact the ATF about it. Every single thing they do is paid for by our tax dollars, they can waste that money a-plenty without our help.

Going back to the question about the light serial numbers, you asked if you need to "do" anything.

Remember, it is a felony under federal law and most states' laws to remove or to alter the serial number on a firearm. The BATFE is notoriously arbitrary and capricious. If you do anything to "enhance" a light serial number, any LEO could claim that you "altered" it, and then the burden would fall on you to try to prove that all you did was restrike or re-etch the same numbers that were already there.

I would do nothing.

I wouldn't touch it. If things came to the point that the cops were looking at your serial numbers, then things are already too late. Just keep a record and if there's at least a partial match, that should be enough.

Thanks guys. I was sort of concerned that I might be accused of trying to obliterate it. Only a couple of numbers in the center are light. Guess I will ignore and just make sure my records describe the issue. gunslinger

Back