Light 20 ga. loads

Bill DeShivs

OK gurus- who makes a light-loaded 20 ga. 2-3/4"or 2-1/2" shell? Would prefer larger shot sizes #3 or #4.
Need something with light recoil for target shooting.

All the shotgun ammo manufacturers offer lower recoil options these days.
Must be due to the aging of the clay bird enthusiasts.
Just check their websites.

Don't see a lot of 3 and 4 shot shells these days. Back in the days before waterfowlers were forced to use non-toxic shot, you'd see lots of shells with larger shot. Today, the demand for that just isn't there. Squirrel and rabbit hunters keep #5 shot demand fairly constant.

Is this for your Auto and Burglar? The magnum buckshot getting to ya? :p

They should make light field loads in 20 gauge. Shouldn't kick too bad in your little hog's leg!! :D

I'm super jelly, would LOVE to have such an arm. Too bad nobody makes a reliable yet affordable 20 gauge side by side to work from these days. I'd hate to cut up something like a Browning BSS or something even more expensive.

Yes, it's for extended shooting of the shotgun pistol.
I haven't been shooting magnum loads.
Mine is built from an EAA Bounty Hunter shotgun, and it's a very sturdy gun.

Savage Stevens

There are a crap ton of Savage and or Stevens doubles around. They are well made and solid. Seems like a good candidate for a project.

Would call very few of them collectible, just a good old working mans double.

I doubt you'll find any loads in 3's or 4's commercially like that...in a low recoil.

You should probably talk to one of your buddies that has a 20ga shotshell press...and see if he will let you make up a few boxes on his press ( you buy the components, he'll help you lookup the recipe, and then you do the work on his press )...that way you have all the liability / he's just helping you. ( I don't load for anyone else --- but they might buy into doing that with you / or just buy a single stage 20ga MEC press, if you want).

I make my own light 20 gauge loads by reloading a 3/4oz load using the CB 3/4oz wad. Reloading will be your best bet, especially in the shot sizes you are talking about.

For low volume reloading, you could always use one of the Lee whack-a-mole kits. I used one when I was in college to make my waterfowl loads.

I'd love to someday make a version of the Auto Burglar style 20 gauge with the 12" barrels.

IMHO with a leather drop holster this type of firearms would be the ULTIMATE post-apocalyptic wasteland fantasy gun. :)

I make up light 20 gauge loads for my wife and daughter to shoot in their Cowboy, or Cowgirl, if you will, Action double barrels on a MEC Grabber. I load a lot of these because those girls like to shoot.

My wife picked her SASS alias because of the shotgun being her favorite. She goes by Ava Crowder. Those of you who were "Justified " fans should be able to appreciate that. :)

I use Winchester AA hulls, Claybuster 3/4 oz wads, Winchester 209 primers, and 11.8 grains of International and 3/4 oz of shot.

That is a very nice, low recoil round, but it still gets a complete burn. It will take out the knockdown steel targets, so it still has some oomph.

Back