Life before CC vs. life after CC.

groverdill

So here I am, a guy about to join the world of concealed carry. I'm not armed just yet. My wife and I plan to buy each other our first guns for Christmas (by the way, that's only 73 days away!:D). Anyway, as I was sitting at a red light behind one other vehicle, the light changed. Naturally the first car in line wasn't paying attention, so I lightly tapped my horn to let them know the light was green. You all know how that turned out. I got a glaring look in their rear view mirror and a finger out the window. Now, I tapped my horn as lightly as possible, not in a mean way at all, and that's what I got in return. As she (yes, she) drove away I thought to myself, "I won't even be able to do that once I start carrying since it could escalate into a situation". So my question to you folks is, how have you had to alter your behavior since you've been carrying? Avoiding situations is number one on the list, but that's got to be hard to do at first. Is it difficult to keep your ego in check? I'm non-confrontational by nature, but the horn-honk-finger thing has me wondering how much more laid back I'll have to be.

It is not uncommon for people to find that they are more careful when they carry because the act of carrying helps them keep the possible repercussions of their actions in mind.

That said, it's wise to ALWAYS be careful in your interactions with others regardless of whether you are carrying or not. It's unwise to do things that could reasonably be expected to escalate into a violent encounter whether or not you're armed.

"Reasonably" is the key. Honking at someone who is sitting at a green light is not something, in my opinion, that could reasonably be expected to escalate into a violent encounter. It's clearly possible that it might cause an unbalanced person to go over the edge, but it's not reasonable to live your life assuming that everyone is unbalanced and ready to turn violent at the least provocation.

On a lighter note, your story reminds me of my favorite bumper sticker:

Honk if you've never seen an UZI fired out of a car window! :D

lets say you avoided trouble before... now you will still avoid trouble but have a viable option should you not be able to.

lets say you avoided trouble before... now you will still avoid trouble but have a viable option should you not be able to.

I don't carry (I work at a university, so couldn't carry 80% of the time anyway), however, that's the way I see it. What happens differently in the above situation had you been carrying? Nothing. What happens in the above situation if she got out of the car and came at you violently with a weapon and you're unarmed? If you're armed?

A concealed firearm SHOULD change nothing in your life until that moment you or someone in your proximity is in mortal danger.

I have no problem reminding someone that they should be driving instead of looking at their phone... and I'm not so careful to tap lightly on the horn. ;)

Groverdill I think it is a great question. I find that I am far more likely to ignore behavior that might have caused me to react in the past. Your example is a good one IMO. A tap on the horn to get the attention of the knot head in front of you is one thing, laying on the horn is another. Walking away from potential trouble or avoiding it all together takes far more discipline and self-control than responding to it. So my answer is yes, I believe carrying a weapon increases our responsibility to behave civilly and maturely.

Something one of the instructors in my CCW class said that I will never forget was, "Getting your CPL should make you a nicer person." And that is generally true. And it doesn't matter if you are carrying. The class taught more about interactions in negative situations and their consequences (physical, emotional, and legal); how avoidance is often times better than confrontation.

And let's face it, when we got our licenses, we signed up to obey a rather strict set of rules (i.e. laws). In Michigan, there are so many things that can get your license taken away or suspended. And none of us here want to have that happen so we, like the OP, are often hyper-aware of anything that could lead to that.

Another thing getting my license has changed in me is situational awareness. It is more of a psychological thing really, but extremely important, especially when wanting to avoid confrontation and be better prepared for it.

Lou

On a more practical note, I find that my gun will wear out a little hole in the area where my shirts rub against the grip, translating into more of the budget getting spent on clothes. Still worth it...

Really the only thing that has changed for me is now I have to put more thought into what to wear, and I look at the front of stores for anti gun signs. I also tend to look to see if I notice any other people carrying. But nothing life changing.

I wasn't in the habit of getting into physical confrontations before carrying and I still am not. I wasn't in the habit of getting drunk before, nor am I after. I did not use to go looking for trouble and these days I don't do that either. ;)

These days I wear a size larger pants and some shirts or jackets to make IWB more comfortable and remove printing from my concerns. Some guys carry just fine with current clothing but I chose to be a little looser fitting and not worry about it.

I thought to myself, "I won't even be able to do that once I start carrying since it could escalate into a situation".

I'll go with spacecoast on this one and agree that you can still 'remind' someone where they are and what they should be doing.

When they react like they did THAT is when you decide NOT to do anything about their ill-mannered actions and let it go.

If you want to congratulate yourself on being the bigger person in that situation IMhO you're entitled to do that. If you want to be glad you were prepared (or will be in the future) to handle things had they REALLY over reacted, once again, IMhO go ahead.

If I had thought for one second that I'd be a different person carrying a gun than I was before I started to carry one, I'd have never carried one.

I've only been carrying since June and really no situations have come up where I have needed to use or really thought about using my pistol until today. Minor thing but I was pumping gas at a convenience store (middle of the day) and I heard someone cussing up a storm to himself. Looked around and it was a young man on foot. I'm sure this guy had mental problems but I keep an eye on him.

I don't think my behavior has changed. For several years I've gone out of my way to avoid conflict, especially in my automobile. There's a bunch of nuts out there many of whom have guns or knives. I don't want to shoot anyone when it could be avoided and I sure don't want anyone to shoot me. Regardless whether justified or not, it's a life-changing event.

Its more slow these days that's for sure, but it isn't only cc that slows a guy down. Kids have that effect as well. The truth is theres been a few people try and provoke me since I started. These misguided fools probably think I let it go because of something else. Wrong as pants on a fish. Now I think more of the outcome, of my family, of the reasons that got me into it in the first place and the truth is one jerk or a few is just not worth it all anymore. Used to that'd be a different story. Yeah ive had to let a few folks off since who royally deserved it, but that's how it has to be sometimes. More slow these days that's for sure.

Now escalation has deadly consequences. So it's a good idea to give people lots of slack rather than starting up the escalation slope.

Excellent topic.

As for myself, I have always been one to maintain awareness of what is around me. Now, since I carry every day, I find that I am even more conscious of this. The same is true for my willingness to get involved in confrontational situations. I have become even more careful - and always mindful of how the most minor event can escalate. Finally, as part of my heightened sense of responsibility while carrying, I am always careful to leave myself an out - an escape route, so to speak. I would never hesitate to back away or simply leave the area, in order to avoid a situation that might escalate.

I'll do virtually anything to avoid having to shoot someone. If it ever came to that (and I saw no way out), I'd do it - but if I can absolutely avoid it, I will. I am proud of the fact that I don't have my ego wrapped up in it.

IMO, the WORST thing that CC can do for a person is to make them "cocky". Cocky and carrying a weapon DO NOT mix well, ever.

Life should go on and not change once you start to carry. Life should continue on once you start to carry because you are now armed with the means of defending yourself if some depraved individual deems he wants your world to come to an end.

That is not to infer that you must go out and look for trouble nor does it infer that you should utilize your gun as a first resort...actually it should be a last resort. But, now, you have that option if there is no other means of escape.

It is the hope of all of us that carry that we never have to use our gun other than for target practice and then for cleaning...and of course, the never ending dry practice.

Back