license required to sell ball cap and powder

georgehwbush

aside from local business license what license/s are required to sell ball cap and powder, through a local store front? not on line.

both old and modern, "bullet primer and propellant"

Last edited:
thank you, i did find another thread on here that said basicly the same, but it was 20 years old, and had some contradictory reports... so i asked.
thanks tom.

I think you will have two major challenges. The first is you will have some requirement, most likely related to storage of black powder and caps. I would contact the local fire department to find out what they require. You also need to enter into a shipping agreement that will allow you to ship and receive black power and caps from a wholesaler.

Also watch out for State and local regs. Just because you can do it federally doesn't mean it you'll be allowed to do it locally. NJ would be a good example of this. You'll probably have several local hoops to jump through.

Last edited:
If he just sold Pyrodex instead of real black powder would he need the Fed license.

As someone has ALREADY said (I'm not being original) local zoning regulations might have to be considered.

No federal regulation requires licensing to open up a store tomorrow selling C&B revolvers and muzzleloading rifles/shotguns. Caps nor balls/projectiles are regulated. BP is an explosive per federal law, so carrying actual holy black for sale requires all kinds of regs. BP substitutes aren't I don't think.

In fact, I've thought about becoming a dealer for muzzleloading supplies and firearms in retirement. I'm not against getting my ffl license, and will probably do that as well. But I would rather niche into something else and everyone else and their brother has an ffl.

5whiskey

In fact, I've thought about becoming a dealer for muzzleloading supplies and firearms in retirement.
I would hope you do a well researched business plan before investing a single $1.

In the fifteen years I've been an FFL I've seen almost thirty brick and mortar gun stores in a 25 mile radius go belly up. It can't be for lack of people....there are three million people in that 25 mile radius.

Black powder/muzzleloading supplies are an inventory black hole. Same with reloading supplies. Not every guy that comes into your shop is there to buy, he's there to ogle, fondle your inventory and ask questions......then he goes home and orders it online for 20% less. If you have a wide variety, you are going to be sitting it it for a decade. It will gather dust.

I would hope you do a well researched business plan before investing a single $1.

In the fifteen years I've been an FFL I've seen almost thirty brick and mortar gun stores in a 25 mile radius go belly up. It can't be for lack of people....there are three million people in that 25 mile radius.

Black powder/muzzleloading supplies are an inventory black hole. Same with reloading supplies. Not every guy that comes into your shop is there to buy, he's there to ogle, fondle your inventory and ask questions......then he goes home and orders it online for 20% less. If you have a wide variety, you are going to be sitting it it for a decade. It will gather dust.

Late reply but your advice is noted Tom (I know you have experience). I of course will do market research. While I said it would be BP and reloading, I would have something much more diverse.

Back