Liberty Maverick???

Cheapshooter

Anybody have any info on a DA/SA revolver called a Liberty Maverick? A friend is looking for info, but I haven't found much on Liberty guns. Mostly 22 rimfires, and SA revolvers. A lot of people are telling her it is a 22, but she says the cham ers are too big to be a 22. She says 9MM and 357 fit, and for some reason she thinks it is a 9MM
Trying to get the pic off of facebook to post here, but for some reason it isn't working.
Looks like hard shiney plastic grils, dull finish on the frame. Thinking it's some 38 Spcl. ZAMAK "Euro special".

The name was used by several companies, including ones that made "suicide specials" in the 19th century. But I think the gun in question is a cheap German-made .22 revolver of the "RG" type, though I can't find evidence that it was made by Rohm Gesellschaft (the original "RG"). A search with "Liberty revolver" should turn up pictures of the gun. A single action was also made using the "Liberty" name; whether the same maker I do not know.

In any case, the guns are of low quality and made of poor metal; purchasing one would be, IMHO, a waste of money.

Jim

Jim, I have tried several searches with no success. The big sticking point is the owner says the chambers (and I am assuming bore) is much larger than a 22. In fact, she says a 9MM will fit. A 357 round fit, but the rim was too thick, and the cylinder would not close. 38 Spcl. Didn't work either.
Several people are trying to get more detailed pics of all the markings from the owner.

Yeah, success. I got the pic to work. Looks very Rohmy.

Last edited:
Those guns are in .38 Special. After the passage of GCA '68, with its heavy emphasis on banning import of .22 caliber handguns, RG, and other makers, simply modified their product line to .38 Special. A bit larger, but no better made and still junk. Apparently, "Liberty" was the name of the importer.

Jim

Wish I was home so I could go look at it. I think somebody might be confused. Prettysure it is a Rohm. She said it does have the RG on the grip. But she is still saying a 38 Spcl. won't fit, and a 357 is the closest. Thinking maybe a 32, and somebody is trying a 327 in it.

She should take it to a gunsmith to have him confirm what caliber the gun is. Makes no sense that a 357 would fit but not a 38spl. This sounds like a job for a professional with the gun IN HAND not guessing from a side picture.

Smee78 said:
She should take it to a gunsmith to have him confirm what caliber the gun is. Makes no sense that a 357 would fit but not a 38spl. This sounds like a job for a professional with the gun IN HAND not guessing from a side picture.
^^^ Beat me to it. .38 Special and .357 Magnum are the same caliber, and people safely shoot .38 Special out of revolvers chambered for .357 Magnum all the time. The only difference is that .357 Magnums have a longer case, chamber, and cylinder -- to prevent loading .357 Magnum cartridges in guns designed for .38 Special pressures. There's no way a .357 Magnum will fit but a .38 Special won't.

I was wondering if the rim "too thick" was actually mistaken for the 357 case being a tenth of an inch longer.
But that still doesn't explain a 38 Spcl. not fitting.
A lot of people are telling her it is possibly a 32 S&W Long, or maybe 32 H&R.
Haven't seen anything in a day or so. She might have given up. I'm home now, and might offer yo take a look at it. I'm getting very curious.

No need to. I think I found out why she hasn't posted anything more in the last couple days. I sent her a PM asking if she found out anything. Also expressing my curiosity over the 357 fitting, and the 38 not. I got a two character answer that I think was tainted with a good amount of embarrassment.
"38"
I have no idea why she thought it wouldn't fit, but I don't think I will ask! LOL

Back