liberty is unnatural

cornered rat

Seems to me that most societies operate, on a basic level, like this. Organized criminals prey on the rest. The criminals could call themselves government or Mafia or whatever, the main feature being enough anonymity and numbers to overwhelm any individual.

This is why you'd fight a mugger trying to steal $50 but not fight an enforcement officer stealing more. The thug is alone, the officer has backup that will hunt you down and kill you. Same with mafia: you eliminate one tough guy, two others kill your family while you are at work.

Most people have their jobs, lives, dependents to lose. So they put up with taxation, seizure, other types of theft, restriction of movement, the myriad laws in order to avoid being confined, beaten, shot, etc.

A society functions as long as the first group (inconviniences) is significantly less severe than the second group (calamities). Also, the populace needs to beleive that the second group of troubles is certain to visit them if they fight the first.

The breakdown of this occurs if 1)two types of trouble become too similar (i.e. thugs take all your property as taxes on the pain of imprisonment) or if 2)people resist on irrational basis (pride, principles, etc.) without regard for consequences.

At some point after that fight, the equilibrium is restored at a slightly less opressive level and the process repeats itself (see recent Eastern Europe). Depressing thought...

On the plus side, nomads can escape this in theory, if not in practice...

------------------
Cornered Rat, now at bay
ddb.com/RKBA Updated March 20
"Disarm, then past the barbed wire, into the oven and out of the smoke-stack..."

[This message has been edited by cornered rat (edited June 16, 1999).]

That's why we need a whole lot more principled people, like everyone on TFL...
smile.gif

Richard

"The disposition of all power is to abuses, nor does it at all mend the matter that its possessors are a majority." James Fenimore Cooper

And people are surprised when I tell them I'm an anarcho-capitalist.

------------------
"All I ask is equal freedom. When it is denied, as it always is, I take it anyhow."

"Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutly"

This Government has A.P. and has proven to be answerable to no one.

We can throw all the Tea we want into the harbors... but untill we actually cut the Government off at the legs (and head), it will continue to do what ever the h3ll it wants

------------------
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Cornered Rat,

I'm glad you exist to think about and analyze these things. As usual, your insight and ability to cut through the bull is commendable and on target. Know of any nomad groups one can join? Of course, the luxuries and amenities of civilized society, not found among the theoretical nomads, form the basic reason for putting up with the abuses of the first kind (that and fatigue, combined with a desire to raise our families in a reasonably comfortable and safe environment).

untill we actually cut the Government off at the legs (and head), it will continue to do what ever the h3ll it wants

Case in point: Congress has approved a bill to post the Ten Commandments in public schools.

Gee, I thought the First Amendment says, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion."

Imagine that.

------------------
"We are going to fight. We are going to be hurt.
But in the end, we will stand."
--Roland Deschain

Coinneach, they way i read it was there would
be no state sponsored religon. which mean to me, the state can't make me a muslim, buddist, christian, pagan, etc.. i think i know your stance on such things, but just because the 10 Commandments are in schools don't mean the students have to read them.
from my point of view they're their if you want to look at them, ain't nobody gonna force you..as always YMMV...

------------------
what me worry? hell yes!!

It is really simple. Many have asked the question concerning what will start a serious revolt against an opressive government.

It will only start when a majority of the sheeple are COLD AND HUNGRY! Rights will not have anything to do with this event. GLV

I have often wondered that very thing, "What would it take?" We are all basically law abiding people who want to comply with the laws of the land. I wonder if someone (like those individuals in Calif. or Aust. or me and you it looks like in the near future) bucked the system if there would be enough of us to aid them through the difficulties of such a "trial by fire?"

------------------
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws
make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for
an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. -ThomasJefferson

Back