LF Handgun For Large Hands

Gravemind

Inactive
I'm a guy with large hands, never seen anybody with ones bigger than mine. Even the standard XL size for gloves tends to be rather tight. For reference, my mother's Glock 22(pretty sure 22) leaves half my ring-finger and my whole pinky finger unable to hold onto the grip.

I'm trying to find a handgun that fits a few criteria:
1. Comfortable fit(obviously).
2. Standard underbarrel rail for accessories, ideally nothing proprietary like H&K's solution.
3. Cheap as possible, but not total garbage.

I've found handguns that were comfortable fits before but they were always compensation pieces or big-game pieces like a Desert Eagle or similar. .40 Caliber is preferred since it's what most the family has, but not a requirement. I'd prefer to buy American but really anything from anywhere is welcome, except for companies that heavily use proprietary equipment.

Try a Glock 21 Gen 4 standard, not the SF. With the large backstrap installed it's pretty big. May still be a little small for you but one must adapt.

Good luck.

Maybe a Sig 2022? I have one in 9mm and find it's grip to be fairly large...though not necessarily longer than other full sized handguns.

Women often complain that the grip of the Beretta 92 is too large. You could also look for a used Para-Ordnance of ParaUSA P16.40 or P15.40.

burrhead: said:
Try a Glock 21 Gen 4 standard, not the SF. With the large backstrap installed it's pretty big. May still be a little small for you but one must adapt.

I have the same Gen4 G21 with the large beavertail backstrap installed and with my own big hands it is a handful (pun intended). It’s a great gun that shoots really well for me set up this way. Another approach would be an HK P30 or VP9 or 40, with the modular grip setup you can build up the backstrap and side panels to give you more grip. I have a P30 setup this way.

"...grip of the Beretta 92 is too large..." Isn't just women. The 92 is too big for normal sized hands. Mind you, so is every DA pistol.
A Glock is a Glock. Frames are all pretty much the same. All the articles online about big hands talk primarily about Glocks too. There is something called a "Pearce +0 extension" you may want to look into.
What you need to do is go shopping and try a bunch on for size. Suggest you start with an 'N' frame Smith revolver. The big frame Rugers usually have grips that are not for big hands. The SuperRedhawk, for example, has the same grip as a GP-100. Fits my short hand perfectly. Won't fit yours. Even though it's a great big thing at 53 ounces..
Grips can some times be had that'll make too small fit large hands. Not necessarily inexpensively though. You might need a custom made grip.

I agree with the revolver being more likely to find a fit.

Aftermarket fat grips may also help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe something as simple as a large blackstrap and a +2 baseplate on a Glock.

I wonder if that Glock 22 that your fingers hang off of is a 23. I have a pretty wide hand span, I find the 19/23 grip very short, but the 17/22 is fine, add a +2 and that’s a long grip.

Try a Gen 3 or earlier Glock 20 (10mm) or 21 (.45ACP). It's not uncommon for people to complain about the grip size on those.

You can put a Handall slip on grip on one of those and make it even bigger around.

If you can find one, the Mk23 H&K has a huge grip. It's not cheap though.

I'd suggest the .45ACP CZ97.

For me it's pretty huge but my hands are table spoons rather than spades so...

Anyway, it may be too small for you but it doesn't hurt to investigate if you can find one to hold.

My hands are large also, I have to buy 2x gloves myself. I went through a few different grips on my super redhawk before I found some Hogue wood grips with a large palm swell that fit my hand. I just recently bought a rock island 1911 in 10 mm and it fits me pretty well, and it’s a single stack . so if you're wanting a semi auto maybe start looking at guns with a double stack mags ( Rock island has double stack 10’s and 9mm )that will fatten up the grip.

Last edited:
My FNX45T has a pretty large grip circumference, it's a double stack in 45ACP. Large hands will definitely feel comfortable. "Cheap" however it is not. FN's are excellent quality and run flawlessly.

You might also like the Bereatta M9 . I have the identical 92FS and same deal it's got a large girth in the grip. Less money than the FNX.

And if you want the biggest of the big as far as grip:

Last edited:
+1 Road Clam.
I also have a large grip and have a DE .44 Mag (14”) and M9 Road Clam mentioned.
I can shoot the DE 1-handed and the mass of the .44 makes the recoil pretty nice.
The M9 is just a pleasure to shoot.

I also have very large hands.

The CZ's and Tanfoglio clones fit my hands well.

There are also varieties of the Beretta 92, and Taurus clones.

My double-stack 1911 from RIA is good for big hands.

Back