Lewis & Clark's Girandoni Air Rifle

Hey anyone know more about this rifle?

I've been hearing snippets for years, but now want the details, since I'm more or less obsessed with the Corps of Discovery Expedition these days:

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/2013/08/nra-museum-historic-hunting-firearms

Off the top, I'm wondering, was it charged just once for the trip, and that's it (when it's out, it's out), or was there a method of recharging, and how was it done? I'm sure it's probably the latter.

I heard once in a PBS special that the rifle required two men using a hand operated pump to charge the rifle's reservoir.
I seem to remember it took several thousand pumps to fully charge the rifle and for that reason it was little used.
Basically an emergency weapon should their powder get wet.

My understanding is it was used mostly to impress natives.
There was a European military force outfitted with these rifles at or shortly after the Time of Lewis and Clark's expedition.
Wikipedia
That article is simple, but right on according to everything I have read. The sources would likely prove valuable. I believe someone is manufacturing reproductions. I can't remember how much, but I think it is in the range or exceeding the price of a high end 50 BMG rifle.

You're correct about there being a repro. I don't remember the brand, but there was a demonstration of one at the Army Heritage Museum a couple of years back.

They were a service weapon in at least one European Army

I'm pretty certain the Austrian corps of marksmen or skirmishers were known to use an air rifle. Being smokeless gave them an advantage in firing from concealment. Shot to shot variation seemed to be the biggest disadvantage IIRC.

Back