Levergun purchase

deepforest27

Inactive
Ok guys,

I have heard enough to convince me that I want to buy a levergun in .30-30. I went out this weekend and hefted a few at the gun store. I am particularly fond of the Win 94 as it has the "look" that the Marlin does not, plus they are a little lighter and I like the way the 94 goes into my shoulder lightning fast. I am, however, not impressed with the factory iron sights. I hear that there are several aftermarket tang/peep sights available for the 94 and it's kin. Does anyone know of a site on the web where I can see a picture of a 94 or Marlin with an aftermarket sight attached. Question #2--can I install the sights myself or will I have to take it to a smith?

The Williams Gunsite Company has a web site and sells the Williams Foolproof peep site for the Modle-94. They make one for the Marlin too. And, there are pictures on the web site.

Lyman makes a tang sight for the 94. I looked at one when I bought my .45 Trapper(no not for the Trapper, but for the 30-30). The base of the Lyman has 2 holes for mounting, and the tang of the 94 only has one. If you can drill and tap for the second hole, you can do it yourself I would imagine. If you can't (like myself), it shouldn't be that expensive to have it done. If it's a working gun, the Williams is probably a better choice.

The Williams and Lyman receiver sights should bolt right on with holes tapped at the factory,unless you've bought a new one. I highly recommend a peep on this great rifle instead of a scope or those iron sights from the factory.

I know this isn't what he's asking for, but it is an option - I remember a while back a magazine (I forget which) ran a story about the "new generation" of lever guns, and had one they called a "tactical" version that had a synthetic stock and was fitted with a pistol style low/no magnification scope (possibly a red dot type) mounted pretty far forward. I'd be interested in finding out who makes the scope mount for this application. I wish I had more specifics to give you, but I'm just going by memory, which in my case isn't all that reliable. Hope this helped, but I probably just added to the questions. In any case, happy hunting.
-Spyderman

Back