Lever Rifle / Revolver combo - 454 or 475

Futo Inu

Write-up this week in Gun Tests on a Freedom Arms .475 Linebaugh revolver has me thinkin' more and more about this - Does anyone here realistically think a manufacturer will come out with a lever rifle chambered in .454 Casull or .475 Linebaugh. What an awesome combo to have that and a monster revolver usind same ammo (esp. 454, which will also shoot the .45 Colt). The .475 Linebaugh is touted as the world's most powerful handgun, besting .50AE and even besting 454 narrowly, but with less pressure, as I understand it. Not that one really needs that power in a handgun, but it would be cool to have either one in a lever carbine or rifle - sort of a .45-70 Lite.

Several gunsmiths have tried and are still trying to build a .454 Casull lever action. The high chamber pressure is evidentally the sticking point, both in a literal and figurative sense.

I don't know if anyone has tried the .475 Linebaugh in a lever gun...I suspect it would have the same problems. Of course, if such a lever gun was possible, you could chamber it for the .475 JDJ (full-length .45-70 case opened up to .475"). Depending on the feeding tolerances and action length, you might then have the abilitiy to run .475 JDJ, .475 Linebaugh Maximum, and .475 Linebaugh.

Accually, if you use a Ruger single action and a lever gun in .45 Colt, You can handload some very powerful ammo that would come pretty close to what you're looking for. Its a tough combo to beat.

Greyfox is right, if 45 is your calling, a Ruger Redhawk and Rossi lever gun is the best deals going (Sorry, Wincherster and Marlin guys, the Rossi handles more pressure). If you Handload, getting over 1,000 pound feet of energy from the barrel is not much of a problem. That is plenty of power for deer size game and even a bit more.
Now, if you are really into Machismo, try a 45-70 Government combo. A Marlin 1985G and a Magnum Research/ BFR Maximum. Now that would be a serious kick in the pants.

Robert

Daniel, isn't the .475 Linebaugh a lower pressure round than the .454, making it more viable for a lever action?

Pressure data I've seen for .475 Linebaugh loads can exceed 45,000psi. SAMMI maximum for the parent case .45-70 is 28,000psi.

Unfortunately, the pressure data I've seen for the .454 Casull is listed in cup, not psi. .454 Casull loads can easily exceed 50,000cup. In contrast, the .444 Marlin has a SAAMI max average of 44,000cup.

Maximum pressure in a 45-70 cartridge is going to vary greatly in the gun it is being shot from. I am willing to bet the farm that that is the reason why Marlin made the 450 Guide gun. It would allow for a new 45 caliber cartridge that can be pushed to true potentials without liability concerns. The 45-70 cartridge is one of the most underrated and misunderstood in the market.

The 45-70 can be broken up in to 4 categories.

Cat 1. Old Trapdoor, black powder guns, old Marlin's pre 1892 guns and collector guns ( Maximum pressure about 17,000 psi )

Cat 2. Old Browning black powder and pre 1960's Marlin guns ( Maximum pressure about 27,000 psi )

Cat 3. Modern Marlin lever and Winchester lever guns ( Maximum pressure is 40,000 psi )

Cat 4. Modern 86' from Browning and Winchester and Ruger #1 ( Maximum pressure 50,000 psi )

A level 3 rifle is fully capable of firing a 400 grain bullet at or over 1900 FPS, that is over 3,000 pound of energy from the barrel. No handgun cartridge even comes close to that kind of firepower

Robert

A lever gun that is generally overlooked is the Browning Lever Action (BLR) which chambers many rounds in excess of 50,000 CUP.
It would be an expensive conversion but if you really wanted a .454 or .475 this would a way to get there. The detachable box magazine would be a plus when it came to quick reloads.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

Mentioning the new production Model 1886, perhaps they would make a good home for the .500 Linebaugh (based on a cut back .348 Winchester case)? From one article I've seen, the .50 Alaskan (full length .348 Win case) is limited in bullet selection by what can fit past the loading gate into the magazine tube. The shorter case should be an ideal fix for this problem, if it can be made to feed.

I had a Win. Big Bore 375 win.that Speer#12
says Ind.pressure is 52,000 cup.This could be the one your looking for.Kinda wished I
would have kept it.
Bert

Back