Lever Gun: Winchester or Marlin?

Hello,

I am looking to get a lever gun, a .44 mag, mostly for urban defense/trunk gun with light loads and maybe the trail with heavy loads. I like the capacity of the .44 Mag, and the fact I can practice on a pistol range. .44 Mag seems to be plenty of power for what I need, and I can load it faster (that the .357 Mag etc) with my fat thumbs because the insert hole is larger. Anyway, I am torn between the Winchester Trapper or the Marlin of the same size.
They look like they have pretty different mechanics and actions.
The Marlin seems to come with a rubber butt pad and I like that.
I kinda like the sights better on the Winchester.
Anyway, I am torn. The action on the Marlin almost seems a little smoother.
Does anyone have any info herer that could sway me either way? Any info on the actions and which is more reliable, more durable, more accurate etc?
I don't know much about these, so ANY info and opinion would be helpful.

Thanks!

Carrying a loaded firearm in the trunk of ones automobile is illegal in almost all 50 states.

Mechanically, the Marlin is a better gun. It is simpler, easier to clean and has tighter tolerances. The one big advantage the Winchester has is that it can handle a bit more chamber pressure. A big plus when hand loading.

For the woods, 44 Magnum is a very good choice. Though is is not going to shoot as fast or as flat as a .357 Magnum from a levergun. Would give the advantage to the 44 Magnum, because of it bullets selection that is a bit better suited for a levergun.

Robert

Cas the Marlin vs. Winchester lever action question has been asked here many times in the past with the nod usually going slightly in favor of the Marlin.

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.

Although I own both brands the Winchester is by far the better lever action. I never could figure out why Marlin finds it necessary to put so much wood on their rifles. Either one will serve you well as it is just a matter of personal joice. As far as carrying a loaded rifle in your trunk check your state laws. In Texas you can carry a loaded rifle anywhere you want legally. If I were you I would look at one of the rifles you have mentioned in .45 Colt. I have one in the Winchester Trapper and couldn't be happier with it.

Go with the Marlin ;)

------------------
"what gives a government that arms the whole world the right to disarm it's own citizens?"

I like the Winchester Trapper model myself.
I just think that they are a better rifle. The only reason you might want to go with the Marlin is if you plan to mount a scope, which I think looks totally stupid! Kinda like mounting a laser on a Colt Peace Maker!!
The only thing I don't like about the Winchester is that damn saftey! I know,... It really is a better design, but it just dosen't look right. And if people used the rifles as they were intended, you wouldn't need it! Really, BOTH rifles are pretty good in my opinion!
CJB

San Antonio has a local ordinance against loaded long arms in the vehicle.

It was passed to take on gang bangers with
SKSs in the car. Whether it is in violation
of state pre-emption - I ain't no stinkin'
lawyer. But I have been cautioned about it.

Any way - I would like a stainless 44 mag
marlin with a synthetic stock. I didn't
see such in the catalogs.

I had a Marlin in .44 mag., and I have a Winchester in .45 Colt. Nuff said? BTW, you can mount a scope on the Winchester. Mine has trhe angle-eject. I think all 94's come that way now. I agree about that darn lawyer-proof safety.
One thing you must remember. Niether rifle is reliable with cast lead or jacketed semi-wadcutters. Round nose flat points, as found on factory ammo in .45 Colt will work, as will most jacketed soft points. In Arizona, you can have a loaded rifle in the trrunk, or even next to you up front.
My best answer as to which to choose is this. Pick the one that feels the best to you, not what other peoples opinions state.
Paul B.

I own 2 Winchesters and 1 Marlin. I have the Trapper in 30/30 (but only since yesterday). I would suggest you buy a lever in a rifle cal for a trunk gun (why take a pistol to a rifle fight)? Unless you are into action shooting or something. Which do I like best? Well the Marlin is for sale (see want ads). There is a good thread going on the two presently at shooters in the rifle section that you may want to read.

Thanks for the advice!

Now then, why would I prefer the .45 Colt over the .45 Magnum?

Is it the same capacity?

I assume the .45 LC is more powerful?

Ammo prices, availablily and variety are comparative?

Thanks!

Go for the cosmetics. In function, they are exactly as good as each other.

As far as carrying a loaded longarm being illegal in most states, I beg to differ.

I actually carried a loaded WWI rifle from Texas to Canada and back while stopping at every "Welcome to...." station with the express purpose of inquiring about the law of every new state I entered.

Did not get as much as a raised eyebrow.

------------------
Private gun ownership is the capital sin in the left's godless religion. Crime is merely a venial mistake.

Check out these gals: www.sas-aim.org

Go with the .44. In .45LC you have a choice of 255gr lead or 255 gr lead or 255 grain lead or lotsa $$$$$. In reality it isn't quite that bad, but pretty close. And even if it was 100% true, you can't go too far wrong with a 255 gr lead .452 dia slug. Most places don't stock .45LC in the variety of loads they do for the .44Mag and those that do want big bucks for the ammo. American Eagle in the red box, 240gr JHP in .44 Mag is $17.95 vs "I don't remember the brand or load, only the price" factory .45LC at $28.95 per 50. Handloading is pretty much a must do for the .45LC.
Marlin or Winchester? Your choice. I have 1 Marlin and 4 Winchesters. But that Marlin action is sooooooo smooth. OTOH, the Winchesters while in recoil, pretty much operate themselves. Impossible to describe, but once you do it kind of thing. For a defensive choice, I believe I would go Marlin. On occasion I have had cases fall back into the action of the Winchesters because of the top eject and/or a less than forceful cycling. Work the action hard, but not abusive. The Marlin is more forgiving, and also ejects out the side.

There also seems to be an abundance of wealth in the used market right now, both in Marlin and Winchester. Most if not all are chambered in 30-30, and not in a pistol cal. For a trunk gun, it's something to consider. Dick's Gun Room, my local dealer, sells the Trapper and the Marlin counterpart for $350.00 new. There is a used, but like new Marlin in 30-30 sitting in the used bin for $250.00. It's a standard length, but the extra few inches shouldn't matter where manuverability isn't the prime concern.

Back