Lever gun / revolver set.

BoogieMan

Im sure this has been asked before but I couldnt find exactly what I was looking for. Another thread about a wife shopping for hubby got me thinking. I have a 686 5". What are the chances of getting a lever gun to shoot the same load as the 686 with good results. Anyone have a match up that they like and will share?

Pretty good actually. My 629 and Henry match up very well. Just keep in mind that many lever guns don't feed wadcutters at all and semi-wadcutters sometimes. My Henry prefers anything with a rounded profile. Whether it be cast, plated or jacketed bullets.

match

I matched a 686 with a Marlin lever for a number of years, as an "outlaw" patrol carbine back in the day when AR's were not issued. The load for that match was 125 JHP, full house factory mags. I shot a lot of ferals with that carbine, and the 125 was simply destructive at near 200 fps (estimate).

As things progressed, the Marlin came home to domestic duty and got paired with a Ruger Blackhawk, and the load then was a mid range deal of a 158 LSWC and 6 grs of Unique, for about 1000 fps from the revolver, never chronoed the carbine. I shot that combo alot, mostly at paper and other things that I deemed just needed a hole in them.

Thing was, I never carried the pair simultaneously on the home front, and often found I wanted the carbine to have more power, and would have to re-zero the Marlin for true magnum loads, then crank it back for the mid range stuff after deer season. That got old...then I got old... and found the peep on the Marlin hard to manage.

I've not shot it much in 5 yrs or so, and hope to scope it in the near future (travesty). When I do, it will get zeroed for 158 JHP, full bore, and not change again.

Back