lever-action bullets

skizzums

I usually keep my lever loaded with the old speer half-jacket .357's. it's my secondary HD rifle, it's light and short and good capacity. I was wondering if you felt it was safe to load hornaday FTX in the tube. they are pointy, but the rubber-ish tip seems like it was negate any possibility of primer ignition. what do you think?

horady plastic pointy bullets in lever.

GOOD Question! I've wondered about those as well. I have a 45-70 levergun and the hornady "lever revolution" ballistic sharp tips scare me in a tubular magazine, dispute the suggestive title. I'd love to watch for the definitive answer.

the leverolution stuff would scare m at all, I know that flex tip is softer than whatever the primer is made out of. that tip makes sure there is no way for any metal to touch the primer. I would doubt the standard ones would be of any concern either, now that I look at, there really isn't a way to get it to get a solid strike on the primer. my concern is if it was canted just right, could the edge, but that's doubtful too.

It doesn't look like the ones in your picture are any more pointy than a truncated cone or some swc bullets.
But why bother, since the gun is being used for short range home defense.
There's plenty of other choices that are proven safe in tubular magazines and effective.
Have you tried it or observed tests, to see if it has any real advantage?
Here's one test on youtube:
It's with a revolver, but gives an idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTWFbuzX-l8

Last edited:
Back