Lever Action .357

AR BLACK

I'm looking to get a .38/.357 lever action. I'm kind of leaning towards the winchester. To be used just for plinking & collecting, maybe even small game. Of course, there is always the issue of home defense (I don't want to pull the AR out unless absolutely necessary :} ).

I'm really into .38 & .357 calibers, although I have guns chambered in .22, .45 ACP, .223, 12 GA, and a couple of others I don't ever shoot.

Does anyone have experience with the Winchester lever action in .357? (or other makers?)

Thanks,

------------------
Blackie
NRA, GOA, ISRA

Sorry do have any experience with the Winchester, but the Marlin yes. Like the Marlin better because of the side ejection and solid top strap. They are good shooters.

I've a Marlin too (straight stock, pre safety). Love that little carbine.

A relative has the Browning in .357. While it flawlessly feeds .357, you have to handload your .38 extra long to get them to feed reliably.

I had posted an inquiry in our Cowboy Action Shooting forum and the majority of our cowpokes prefer the Rossi.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I have the Winchester Trapper in .44 Mag. It is a keeper. I plan on getting a .38/357,again in Winchester, but not the trapper model. I liked the feel of the Winchester over the Marlin, but IMHO they are both equal. Again,just IMHO, I would avoid the Browning. I have a Browning in .22 and it has absoultely the worst trigger of anything I own. It's a real shame as it is a beautifuly crafted gun, and when I can manage to hold it steady, it is accurate. The trigger though ruins an otherwise fine gun.

------------------
Want to feel your age?Check it out. http://web.superb.net/boy/age1.html

Had a Winchester '92 and a M-94 in .357. Great carbines, but couldn't find a real use for them, and moved on. A friend of mine adores[/li] his Rossi, and he's an old-time sniper not easily impressed.

My main beef with them is just that I don't feel they're enough medicine for deer-sized game at anything beyond pistol-distances, or perhaps 20 yds further.

As to "Of course, there is
always the issue of home defense (I don't want to pull the AR out unless absolutely
necessary :} )."

, I know you're being facetious, but let's review Rules 1 & 2 of Gunfighting:

Rule 1: Have a gun.

Rule 2: Cheat.

(First rule of knife-fighting: See Rule One of Gunfighting.)

Much as I love the Big Heavy Bullet concept of home defense, probably the AR is superior to a lever-action .357. But I may receive some valid arguements to that one...

L.P.

I have the Winchester '94 Wrangler in .44 Mag, and as Hal said, it's a keeper.

I've also been thinking about the Rossi. Glad to hear some good comments on it here. They appear to be a helluva bargain. Saw some at a gun show last month for $195.

I have owned a Rossi in .357 and was pleased with the accuracy and the Win 92 style action. I got it for the (then) wife.

Never really benched the rifle, but rolling cans at 50 (+) yards was easy. I have shot several in CASS matches and they reinforced my opinion as to the good accuracy.

For a hunting/defense gun, I selected Hornady 158 XTPs. If the .357 replicates my .44 Marlin with the added velocity, you may need a tougher bullet to avoid bullet overexpansion in game. My 1894 routinely logged an increase of 300 (+) fps with factory ammo. I am sure Speer GoldDots would do as well if not better.

I have read reports of velocity actually decreasing in the .357 rifles (due to barrel drag) but have no experiance with this. I didn't set my chrono up prior to the wife leaving and taking the rifle with her... Just thought I would throw this in to see if anyone else had any data.

My only complaint with the Rossi (had the carbine version with the 16.5 inch barrel) was the roughness of the action. I flushed the rifle with brake cleaner and worked the action many times with no real improvement. Stripped it and packed it with Clover brand grit, cycled the action lots while periodicly flushing it and reapplying a finer grit. Finally quit and took it to a 'smith here in SC and he got it smoothed up a bit more. Was still a bit tight when it ran away.

I would buy one again, but I would play with it first. Then again, the Marlin is better if your going to install a scope or aperature sight. I liked the action type as the wife could visually inspect the chamber and understand the cycle. (NDP feature)

Hope this helps,

Giz

------------------
"Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies..." LG, RIP

I got a Rossi M92 about a week ago. Shot it last weekend, and I've got a fairly favorable opinion of it. Mine is the short barrel version, fit & finish is very nice, as is the wood. The action seems to cycle very smoothly, although I've handled others that were very stiff and rough. I can't really comment on the feeding, as the only ammo I had was full wadcutters and nobody would expect them to feed so I just loaded them singly. I have some roundnosed flat points coming and I'll report on them later. Accuracy was not bad, but I can still shoot my Blackhawk better. A hundred yard dings on the man-sized steel was pretty monotonous though.

------------------
TJS

I find the Marlin allows for easier cleaning than either the Rossi or the Winchester.

My laziness knows no bounds when I'm tired after a bout of shooting, and thus, I have to plan for it. Simpler break-down = simpler cleaning = Duncan properly cleaning his rifle.

Hence, I'd go for the Marlin.

And thus reveal more about me than probably is needed.

Duncan

I consider my Marlin 1894c indispensible. It's my 'behind the door' rifle, ready with 9 old 180-gr Black Talons in the magazine and 10 more on a butt cuff. The Marlin shoots jacketed bullets wonderfully, about 1 1/2 moa with the Williams peep and old Redfield Sourdough post front sight setup. A PC 'assault rifle'. I like it so much, I think there should be a law that everybody own one! slabsides

------------------
An armed man is a citizen; an unarmed man is a subject; a disarmed man is a slave.

Back