Leupold VX-whatever???

longfellow

Can someone summarize the significant differences between the VX 1 1-4, VX 2 1-4, and VX 3 1.5-5 please, other than the obvious slight differences in actual magnification and eye relief and objective diameters? The inquiry is really directed around real performance features such as light transmission, extent that each is waterproof and shockproof to varying levels...
Thanks.

There is no practical difference in light transmission or durability among those scopes.

The more expensive version will technically transmit more light, but it would be negligible, and nearly impossible to see.

The biggest difference would probably be in the precision of the adjustments, but if you're not changing the settings continuously that makes no real difference either.

The difference is small, but the more expensive versions use better lense coatings which will be sharper and clearer, especially in low light. The VX-3's use stronger internal parts which might help with heavy recoiling rifles.

Over the years Leupold has upgraded and changed scope names several times and it is difficult to keep up with it. There was a significant upgrade in 2012 and the VX-1's made since then now have the same adjustments as all others and are basically a pre 2012 VX-2. The newer VX-2's use the same coatings and technology as a pre-2012 VX-3. The newer VX-3's were also upgraded at the same time.

All 3 are equally waterproof and are covered by the same lifetime warranty. The VX-3 might be the better option for hard use.

FWIW, I have examples of all 3. For my money the VX-2 is the sweet spot for value and I'd not feel handicapped in the least using a VX-1. While the VX-3 is a slightly better scope, in that price range I'd buy a Zeiss. About the same money and even better.

I have a couple of VX-1's in 1-4X20 that I use on AR's and would think it about perfect for a lever action 30-30. They are as much quality as I want to pay for on those rifles. I use VX-2's or Zeiss on my hunting rifles where I want better glass.

VX is just a model designation which Leupold uses.

The cheaper (sub $200) optics with the VX label arent for anything other than hobby/range toy use. Even though the VXR Patrol optics are pretty good, they aren't as good as the higher end VX6 (1-6) or their CQBSS optics which are purpose built.

Also depends on reticle choice...

I have each of the scopes you ask about, plus the VXR 1-4x. As model number goes up, quality goes up incrementally. I can definitely tell the difference between my old VariX-II 1-4x, VariX-III 1.5-5x and VX3 1.5-5x. The VXR being comparable to the VX3. The VX1 and 2 are good scopes for their price point but I'll take the VX3 1.5-5x over any of them for any purpose.

Thoughts

What I am hearing then is that the VX II, which is about on par with the "Old" VX III, is a great scope and that internals are "now" about the same or exactly the same with all grades, and finally the additional light transmission as you go up in grade is likely due to coatings and not necessarily a better piece of raw glass or higher finish on the glass.
I have a VX-1 4x rimfire on mu squirrel rifle and will likely focus on either an outstanding deal on a VX III, or any of the fair deals I see on VX-II and call it a day.
Thanks all.

VX-1 4x rimfire. Pretty sure that's an FX-I. Glass and coatings something like a Rifleman.
A VX-1 is 2 steps up from that.
The VX-I and VX-II haven't been made since about 2011. The VX-1 and VX-2 came out in 2012. The VX-1 is pretty much the same as the VX-II was, and the VX-2 is the old VX-III.
The coatings make just as much difference as the glass.
The information on the new models is on the Leupold site. The older Leupold catalogs can be found online.

I don't find leupolds site format to be very friendly. I have spent some time on it lately looking for a scope and I seem to be bale to spend a lot of time there without finding much information.
I think one problem is the breadth of their products without clear differentiation, which is sort of what this thread is asking about. It really doesn't seem like their site has much info at all explaining why I should buy the higher dollar scopes. My research leads me to believe there is very little reason to buy anything besides a VX-1.

I think Cabel's has them all in stock and on display, so I think I can look through each series side by side.

Back