Leupold VX-1 Rimfire 2-7x28 scope on a Marlin .22

Old eyes

Forgot to mention I'm 45 now..and have accepted that the only way for me to see down range and shoot accurately is through a scope..I purchased the Leupold because I'm new and want to learn windage, elevation and become accurate w the Marlin .22 under various conditions; later am stepping up to the AR 15

Do not use the Weaver one-piece "tip-off" rimfire base.

It does not work with the Marlin bolt action .22s (or any of the variants) without modification.

For 3/8" dovetail rings, I would spend my money on Leupold, Warne, or maybe Burris rings. Don't go cheap, or you may regret it.

However, if I had just spent the cash on a Leupold scope for a rimfire rifle, I'd spend another $60-75 to have the receiver drilled and tapped for proper bases ($12-15 per hole / 4 holes; $10-15 for two Weaver #12s).

Which Marlin .22? Some of them (like my 925) come with scope mounting holes as well as grooves. If yours has holes then get a screw-mounted base. Much better than a groove-mount.

Thanks for the responses

Ya, I've read the lower the better. I have the model 60 tube feed 14 rounds. Man the gunsmith Leland did a great job with the open site rig..just cant shoot accurate with it..it was a peep..sticky sure has been arouind..he has some great posts concerning the rimfire/ .22 Marlin..he must be like a GUNSMITH LEGEND..ok.I will have holes drilled..so which mount is top for the Marlin?

Personally, I wouldn't have it drilled. If it had factory drilled holes then I'd definitely use those. However, since it doesn't then invest in the best tip-off mounts you can get. Burris and Millet make good ones.

If you want the scope as low as you can get it without interfering with the bolt handle, you should probably use rings for the 3/8" dovetail.
You can get lower with just rings than with rings and bases.

I have Leupold 2x7's (very old models) on two lever action 22's. Mounts are the old Weaver type, because that's what I had on hand, but they are screw mounted to the action instead of using the twin grooves that one of the rifles has.

Just to mention it, even though I was not a big fan of Nikon scopes, I put a 3x9 rimfire scope (with BDC) on my Marlin 39A. I have to say that I like it a lot.

I don't see a Weaver Top Mount Base for a Model 60 listed. You might find a base that fits if you take your rifle to a gun shop and ask them to find a top mount that fits.

The best Weaver Rings I've used lately are the 4-screw version, which are available in three heights. While you're at the gunshop with your rifle and scope, see if you can tell which height would be best for your scope, and bases.

Personally, I wouldn't have it drilled. If it had factory drilled holes then I'd definitely use those. However, since it doesn't then invest in the best tip-off mounts you can get. Burris and Millet make good ones.

My thoughts exactly. I've used the Burris rings without any problems. The Signature rings have a polymer insert that aligns the scope to the bore and grips the scope tube without scratching.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/15...gs-22-rimfire-and-airgun?cm_vc=ProductFinding

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/15...e-rings-22-rimfire-steel?cm_vc=ProductFinding

woohoo!!

OK so we chose the low/grooved mount Weaver 1" (2) screws on each mount.
Took it out to the range at Garland Sat./ too much wind to get a good zero/
Today got it out to Bass Pro Grapevine/ Indoor..gotter zeroed in at a 100 very nicely ahhh..1" group..round contingent really..few weaker rounds here and there..pushed out to 300 yrs. easy red with approx. 9" open dope..I mean I just aimed 9" high..planning on starting a log..where to get a good one? Im thinkin on just reprinting from a few manuals I have..poke holes in em and log up..Thanks everyone for the suggestions and stuff..made my NFGness a good quality experience..

Back