Leupold Vari-X II vs. Vari-X III

Danger Dave

Help!!

Okay, I'm not really a rifle person, but I have a project rifle I've been working on (a sporterized M1917 .30-06) and I've decided to put a Leupold on it. I have an opportunity to buy one (sorry, guys) Leupold scope of my choice at a substantial discount.

What scope would you folks recommend & why??? Is the Vari-X III worth the extra money, or not?

Right now, I'm thinking about a 3-9x40mm Vari-X II or a 3.5-10x40mm Vari-X III.

Thanks in advance!

------------------
Beginner barbarians probably had the idea that every house they broke into would be full of untouched loot and frightened, unarmed victims. It just doesn't work that way, my friend.

I hope these evil men come to understand our peaceful ways soon - My trigger finger is blistering!

Considering all the information that you provided in your post, I'd think that the Var.II would be fine. The turrets don't have "clicks", and some people don't like that, but they're fine scopes. If you get a REALLY great deal, you might find the III, a little more precise.

The improved optics in the VX-III make for better shooting in lower light conditions, like at dusk. You will have to decide how the scope will be used to make a decision.

I used a Vari-X II on my '096 since 1970 or so. Still have it; just on another rifle, right now. Took lots of deer; shot lots of coyotes at night. Never had a "light-gathering" problem.

My first ever center-fire was a 1917. Put a Bishop stock on it, and a Dayton Traister, cock-on-opening trigger. Weaver K2.5 on top.

Used to reload with a Lyman 310 tong-tool.

Easily got 1.5" groups, which wasn't bad for 1950...

Have fun!

Art

Well, I've just about decided on the Vari-X III. I'm getting enough of a break so that the cost difference isn't really an issue, and I think the improved optics and "clickable" adjustments will be worth it.

I had a cock-on-opening bolt on mine, but it won't work with my Timney trigger without building up part of the bolt. I decided the improved trigger was more important than where the action cocked (I got used to a No. 4 Enfield, so the cock-on-closing doesn't bother me). I did get a Timney "Speedlock" mainspring, though - makes the action crisper, and seems to make the firing pin strike faster. I'll probably put a Bell & Carlson stock on it...

Back