Leupold Rifleman 2-7x33mm 56150, good for an AR15?

RAfiringline

Maybe it's time to step up from my $30 Ncstar.....

Leupold Rifleman 2-7x33mm 56150, good for an AR15?

I want short, small diameter, variable power, durable, reliable.

Any informed opinions?

Thanks

Good scope with the best warranty out there.

Weight isn't bad.
Eye relief should be acceptable.

A good alternative is the Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm. It's equal to or better than the Rifleman in almost every way, made in the same place, and covered by the same warranty; but with a different name on the tube, different reticles, and 1/4 MoA click adjustments (where the Rifleman uses 1/2 MoA hash-marks with friction adjustments [no detents for 'clicks']).
I also prefer the feel of the Redfield's magnification adjustment ring, but they're very close.

Usually, the Revolution is cheaper than the Rifleman, but it looks like the Leupold is on sale at MidwayUSA right now:
Midway $179.
The Redfield, in contrast at regular price, is $199 for a 4-plex reticle or $209 for the "Accu-Range" reticle.

I own one or two of the Redfield 2-7x33mm scopes, as well as some other Revolution variants (higher magnification). All are good scopes, but I went with the Accu-Range reticle on most of them. I am more than satisfied with all of them.

(Just don't buy the import Redfields. I'm disappointed in those, and the warranty is not as good...)

Definitely much better than the NcStar. However, the Rifleman is Leupold's lowest level scope. I love Leupolds but would never by the Rifleman. I'd by either the Redfield or maybe a lower level Vortex instead.

Have a 1982 Vari-X II on my pet .243. Good for prairie dogs to 300 yards, for sure. The 2X is great for walking hunting for Bambi.

I've had a 3-9x Rifleman on my Ruger Hawkeye in 358 Winchester for about 10 years now. I've got no complaints.

The friction adjustment knobs have never moved from where I've set them, even with all the internet warriors telling me it would never hold a zero.

It is/was the bottom of the barrel Leupold when I bought it, but I didn't need (read that as couldn't afford) a fancier model at the time, and its taken several big game animals, and several hundred rounds through it, and preformed just fine for my needs.

That said, I do also have a Redfield Revolution 4-12x on a Browning 1885 in .30-'06 that I picked up shortly after they came out. I do prefer the Accu Range reticle of the Redfield, and it seems to deal with low light a bit better than the Rifleman.

Both scopes have had zero issues for me, but choosing between the two today, I would go with the Redfield.

Last edited:
That would be a huge improvement and a good choice, but for about the same money I'll suggest some slightly better. For only $15 more the VX-1 is about 2 levels better than the Rifleman.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-2-7x33-VX-1-Riflescope-P51823.aspx

Personally I like the 1-4X20 better on an AR. On 1X it is amazingly fast for quick close range shots and 4X is enough magnification for 300+ yards.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-1-4x20-VX-1-ShotgunMuzzleloader-Scope-P51851.aspx

This Redfield is made by Leupold and is less expensive, but a slightly better scope than the Rifleman. It falls between the Rifleman and VX-1 as to quality.

http://swfa.com/Redfield-2-7x33-Revolution-Rifle-Scope-P44466.aspx

I have two Redfield Revolutions and several Leupold Vx-2. The Redfield is OK, but the Leupolds are very much better.

Before you buy a Redfield, read the fine point on warranties.

The Revolution is only warranted to the original owner with proof of purchase.

Spend a couple of extra bucks and buy a VX-2 Leupold.

The Revolution is only warranted to the original owner with proof of purchase.

Spend a couple of extra bucks and buy a VX-2 Leupold.
Two points:
1. Redfield/Leupold is not requiring proof of purchase for warranty work on Revolutions, from the few warranty reports that I've seen. The proof of purchase clause seems to have been put in there to scare off second-hand buyers that knowingly buy bad scopes. (And how hard is it to keep a receipt, anyway?)

2. If you're stepping up to the VX-2, keep on stepping right to the VX-3. If the VX-1 isn't good enough, don't compromise with the VX-2. Just bypass it and get a VX-3. Clarity and light transmission are notably better.

I`ve never owned a VX1, but have several of the old vary X 11`s with friction adj. and never had any trouble with any of them. At present I have 1 Redfield that was on a gun I just bought and about 50 Leupolds. If I see a cheap Leupold I buy it and put it on the shelf until I find a gun to put it on.

I`ve never owned a VX1, but have several of the old vary X 11`s with friction adj. and never had any trouble with any of them.
I have an old Vari-X III with friction adjustments. It hasn't had any problems, either.

But, sadly, even though it was "cutting edge" technology at the time...
I think the current Rifleman is a more advanced scope than that 30+ year-old Vari-X III. :rolleyes:

Back