Leupold or Redfield?

ED CHAVEZ

I been shopping and gathering information on scopes I wish to purchase. I have-it down to three scopes: 1. Leupold Tactical Vari-x II 3-9x40mm, duplex sights, matte finish $350 AND 2. Redfield Golden Five Star 6-18AO*x40mm, duplex sights, matte finish $330 AND 3. Redfield Golden Five Star 3-9x50mm duplex sights, matte finish $240.

Right know I am battling the Redfield between #2 and #3. I am leaning towards #2, since it has AO*. But I like the 50mm because of light gathering at low light conditions.

But which is the better choice? I will not be using the scope for target work at the range or varmint targets/ hunting, I will be using it for field work in rought land and shooting situations ranges anywhere from 71-365 meters(75-yards to 400-yards). I wish to get a few opinions from you fellas with expirence with these brand scopes. Different field and class instructors tell me mix reviews, some tell me Redfield, and some tell me Leupold. I know for sure the Redfield will hold true in harsh enviroments and grunt work, but I never tested the Leupold. Have any of you tested the Leupold brand or put-it through rough stress in field situations? How does the Leupold handle drops at 3-feet? Give me any feedback and knowledge you fellas have, it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ed Chavez :confused:

*AO- Adjustable Objective.

Natchez Shooters supply has those Leupold scopes for a little over $200.00. If cost is a concern then you can get one at a great price. I dont know about Redfield but you can't go wrong with the Leupold w/ its lifetime warranty. :cool:

Paul

It's sad that Redfield is no longer making scopes. They stopped production in 1998. I had a Redfield Illuminator Accu-Trac 3-9x42mm scope on my Savage 110FP. It gathered light better than any Leupold, Springfield or Burris scope I've ever looked through. It was like turning the light on in your closet. Only Swavorski scopes gathered light better than the Redfield Illuminator. It also had a built-in and simple to use rangefinder. Oh, well.

If your distances are under 500 yards I think the 6-18x is overkill so to speak. 3x magnification allows you to scan an area better than 6x. Of the three choices, I agree that the folks at sniper country will give the nod to the Leupold. Also, the 50mm Redfield will sit way high on the rifle so you have to address the cheek weld issue. Unless you really need maximum light gathering ability, I'd recommend the Leupold.

Back