Leupold Mil-Dot

I haven't used mildots yet but have done my homework.

Advantages are good range estimation, multiple accurate holdover points.

They are easy to use, but require pretty good math skills.

I would go into specifics, like height of target in yards x 1000/height of target in mils=range in yards, but with that marvel of modern living the mildot master, a kind of slide rule that does the math for you, I don't have to explain it.

http://www.swfa.com/riflescopes/mildotmaster/index.html

is the direct link to this gem. I haven't used one of these, but it is ordered and on its way.

With the Leupold mil-dot scopes (mine's the 3.5x10x50) the mil-dots are regulated for the highest power setting (10x on mine). At that setting the distance between dots, from center to center, is 3.6 MOA (3.6 inches).

For the non-calculator inclined, like me, that's...

3.6" at 100 yards
7.2" at 200 yards
10.8" at 300 yards
14.4" at 400 yards
etc, etc, etc
36" at 1000 yards

You must know some dimension of your intended target to use the dots for range estimation. A deer is 18" from back to belly so, if that fits between two dots (exactly), it's 500 yards away. Three dots = 250 yards etc. I find it much easier to use a compact laser rangefinder but knowing how to do it the old fashioned way is a good skill to develop.

Perhaps the best use by a hunter type shooter is to sight in as usual and just use the dots as "hold-over" points. For instance, my PSS is sighted dead-on at 100 yards with all knobs set to zero. I know it's 6 clicks (1.5 MOA) up for 200 yards. In a pinch I can just hold over 1/2 the distance to the first dot. As with any range finding reticle, or scope/gun combo, you just have to go shoot it enough to know how it works for you. NEVER trust data tables until you confirm them at the range with your gun and your ammo.

Mikey

I have a Leupold Tactical with Mil Dots. My main use for them so far is for movers. I have not used them for range estimation, but for gaining a lead on moving targets they are great.

You can use the old calculator method but these days I found that using the mil-dot master sliding ruler type calculator is by far the most accurate and fastest methos out there. I got mine from SWFA for about $30 and it was money well spent. Other than my SVD, Leupold mil-dot scopes are on all of my long range rifles and there is a seperate mil-dot master in the dope book for each rifle. I will NOT go back to the old calculator again! :D

Back