Leupold Acadia vs Cascade Binos

SEHunter

Looking for some first hand information to help choose between these two models of binoculars. I'm mostly concerned with low light visibility and 200-300 yard identification of game animals. When I say identification, I simply mean for example, just to be able to judge between a 110" whitetail and a 140" whitetail at the 200-300 yard range. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
After doing more research, there is a lot of debate on power vs image quality. I was looking at 12x50s but few even discuss that power level. Most folks are looking at 8x and 10x. Exit pupil diameter seems to be something a lot of people that understand optics look at. For my application and expertise, or lack there of, it's probably all irrelevant. I guess I may go with a pair of 10x50 Acadia. I'm sure it will be a drastic improvement over the 25 year old Tasco 7x35s that are in my arsenal.

I don't see it mentioned in discussions of binoculars but you want to keep the image still for good viewing. Higher magnification means more wobble.

There is mention of that in some of the stuff I came across. I'm not very familiar with that feature besides reading about it. I think for the most part that feature is on Binos that are out of my price range. I would like to try a pair though.

I was not talking about a feature of certain binoculars. I meant that unless your hands are very quiet or you will have a rest, higher magnifications may cause problems. My hands shake enough that over about 8X is no help for me without bracing the glass on something.

Yes, magnification magnifies everything, including every little tremor of the hand. Greater magnification amplifies these shakes more than lower magnification does. For this reason, people often say that 10x is a practical limit for handheld optics.

I don't know much about the Leupold Acadias, but for that price, you might consider one of these:

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/atlas-optics/atlas-optics-intrepid-ed-8x42-binocular

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/atlas-optics/atlas-optics-intrepid-ed-10x42-binocular

I own the 8x42 version. Yes, they are made in China, but the seller has an excellent warranty (you can even send stuff back if you don't like it with no fees). You'd likely have to pay 2 or 3 times as much to get something American made with optics as good as these.

I've never tried the 10x version, but as Bill West said, the lower magnification will seem steadier. The 8x also has a wider field of view and would seem a tad brighter when light is dim.

Although I haven't tried the Leupold Acadias, I am quite certain the Atlas binocular would be significantly sharper, and even if you chose the 8x version, you could probably identify your deer better due to the better clarity.

Last edited:
Bill- I misread but thought you were referring to image stabilization or simply "IR". Cannon has a popular model with this feature. Folks say once they use them, they'll never go back.

Back