Let's talk spotting scopes (standard / refractors).

Let's talk spotting scopes (standard / refractors).

Which are the best values in an Under-$350 lightweight config with approx. 65mm objective - good, light, and rugged enough to carry in the field for spot and stalk, but also enough image resolution to see .22 holes at 100 yards on a cloudy day or .30 cal holes at 200 on a bright day (notice I'm not asking for the moon and stars here - not trying to see .22 holes at 300 or some such - I will use a bigger scope for that).

So much seems to have changed with so many new brands popping up, and many new models.

Used to be, Alpen, Konus, and some others had pretty good value ratios on the low and medium ends - gimme a top 5 or top 10 best value list in the sub-$350 range for a 65, then feel free to throw in 1 or 2 in the sub-$400 range if you just know of a great value in that range ($350 - $400 new).

And yes, I'm willing to go used, with that same price, so that should be able to get a much better scope - stuff that's around $450-$500 new - throw those in too. Thanks.

Yeah, that one would be in the price range if found used... so at 100 yards, can you see .22 holes on a sunny day? Cloudy day?

I was kind of wanting a 65mm, but a higher quality glass 50mm such as that one would be lighter and *may* have as much resolution as a cheaper 65mm.

Any other suggestions? What about Vortex - they're so popular now with riflescopes.

scopes

.22 holes at 100 yards on a cloudy day....
I have two....both from Champion's Choice....both are 12-50X50mm objective.
They are remarkable little scopes given the small objective lens. One is an angled eyepiece and the other straight. ($110 each)
I use the angled scope for prone .22 at 100 yards and the other is in my pistol box.
Also....more in line with what you asked is their 20-60X77mm scope at $185.
http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=itemdetailoptions&item=CC2060

Call Champion's Choice then ask them who makes their scopes' optics. Note they're probably made to CC's specs which may or may not be that of the maker's specs for their scopes' lenses. That happens in the optics industries a lot.

At one time, Unertl scope optics were made by American Optical as was some other scopes' lenses. Those with top quality ones were bought by Unertl and cost more than those bought by others with less quality.

I have a 77 mm Kowa with the Flourite crystal lense.I can count on seeing 22 holes in the black at 300 yds,and,on a really good day,I could see 30 cal holes in the black at 500.

That one does not fit in your budget.An eyepiece for that scope is hard on your budget.

But I have been favorably impressed by Kowa.

They make some 50 mm and 60 mm scopes that come with a 20 x or so fixed eyepiece that might be affordable and suit your needs.

If you are a bit of a gambler,search e-bay for vintage and used spotting scopes.Yep,you could get disappointed.

I found a B+L NRA model,20 x,60 mm that easily sees 22 holes in the bull at 200.This scope came out in 1938.I paid about $125.

It has a really great focus feature.the eyepiece pulls in and out on detents for a rapid rough focus.Fine focus is via turning the eyepiece.Pull back one click,and my goodness,the mirage !!,push forward one click,you are back in focus.It came with the nice military type short tripod..

This model plus the small Kowas would be good for spot and stalk.

There are some Argus scopes that look the same,I do not know about the quality.

There are B+L military M-49 scopes.If condition is good,they would be great.

I bought an old bushnell angled eyepiece scope for my brother.A little odd looking.It is optically well up to what you ask for.My only complaint,the eye relief is short.It was about $100,with nice bench tripod.

Let the buyer beware,but there are some good finds.

Last edited:
Thanks; very helpful.

Let me clarify - I have a big one that's good for holes to well past 200. But it's large and heavy to lug to the range, and not sturdy or waterproof for the field.

I'm wanting a small/light one which will be good enough for spot and stalk hunts, and easy to haul to the range to see at 100 easily even small holes on cloudy days, and to easily see any hole at 150 on bright days.

That Leupold actually gets great reviews and is only 22 oz, and so it's still in contention, but I really want the larger exit pupil associated with a 60 or 65mm, due to the fact that if it's for scanning for long periods for game, the small exit pupil can quickly become tiresome.

Looking a bit at the Alpen 15-45x60mm @ $175, but it's 27 oz.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews...om-compact-waterproof-spotting-scope-725.html

I wanted something a bit better than this, but it gets great reviews at Optics Planet.

Last edited:
OK, nevermind. Fortuitously, I had a friend who wanted to trade off his Leupold "Wind River Sequoia" 15-45x60, with tripod, alum. case, etc. Not quite the quality I wanted, but I traded for it with no cash, so I'll give it a go. It's the right size and weight, and does have the Leupold warranty. Thanks.

Spotting

Great that you got something that may prove useful.
For the purpose that you have stated....field work, scanning, lightweight, good optics, able to resolve .22 bullet holes at 100 yards (or further).....just for the future.....
If you ever get a chance to try a set of Canon IS binoculars - not inexpensive but worth every penny - you will be amazed.
I have a set of the 10x30 Image stabilized binos that I use at the range regularly....remarkable. High quality lenses, great light transmission and the stabilization feature adds a truly amazing amount of visual enhancement.
I use them for casual astronomy and they perform better than larger standard binos.
About $350+/-.

Pete

You don't need much of a spotting scope to see 22 caliber bullet holes at 100 yards. I have a Barska 20-60X? (go easy on me...) that'll do fine on 22 cal holes up to 200. Just an awful optic, but it cost less than what I paid for the chunk of meat at a good steakhouse recently. I'm getting a new one for Christmas, with the Leupold Ventana 20-60x80 being the planned purchase. Once I have the new one, whoever wants to drive over here to get the Baska will get it for free.

Back