Lets talk Chronographs....

kilotanker22

OK,

So My old Chronograph is broken. I am buying a new one in the next couple of weeks. I really want a Lab Radar. I have also been seeing a lot of positive things about the Magnetospeed v3.

Anyone here have experience with both? The Lab Radar is about $250 more than the Magnetospeed. The obvious benefit of the lab radar I guess is being able to track actual velocity downrange. 100 yards I think. Although I don't know if 100 yards is enough to use the Data to calculate actual BC of the bullet.

What does the wisdom of this forum say about the value of each?

I have the Labradar, but not the Magnetospeed. I selected the Labradar because it can easily be used with a variety of firearms, regardless of their configuration. The Magnetospeed on the other hand is generally attached to the end of the barrel, which can be problematic with some designs such as auto pistols. If the firearms you will be using are easily compatible with the Magnetospeed method of mounting, then it could be the ticket for you.

I have both. The magneto speed is great for most rifles and long barrel revolvers. Bottom feeders and snubs, not so much. I use the LabRadar exclusively now. If you get one, get an external battery pack. Is it worth the price? For me, yes, but you may be perfectly pleased with the strap on unit.

I'm financially challenged, so i got a Chrony Beta Master.
As long as the batterys are fresh it does what i need it to do.
I would love to have a Lab Radar.
And the RSI Pressure Trace.

I'm against the Magneto Speed, as it straps to the barrel. Often times i'm shooting groups, while using the chrono.
I don't use the chrono for my ladder tests. I'd rather focus on what my most accurate charge is. I'll chrono it afterwards.

While I am also financially challenged, I will buy what works best vs something else.

My chrono quit working and I hated the setup thing and time delays anyway.

I get another one it will be the Lab.

Good points.
I wonder, how is the setup with the Labradar vs a Beta Master?
Would be nice not having to tape measure off distance for muzzle blast, and stringing a cable back to the bench.
Then there is the old chrono saying...
Those that have shot a chrono, and those that will..

I bought my brother in law a chrony for Christmas / birthday one year.
I'm also the one who shot through the front of it one day.
They really need to make the front of those a bit sturdier.....like 1/4" steel.

Yep, RHA (rolled homogeneous armor!)

I ticked mine, kept working, about as bare a hit as you can get and still not wreck it.

The LAB sets up on a table (plate) or a tripod to the side of the gun.

You can use your tripod of buy make the plate with a camera bracket on it.

Either way its easy.

The only miner downside is I did like the Chonry remote display, numbers on the LAB are big enough, but if you need to manipulate it and on a trip pod its not easy.

The plate seems the better way to go. On the bench and accessible.

The plate seems the better way to go.
On the bench and accessible.
Yup.
Clamp the plate to the bench with two spring clamps.
Bomb proof.
(you also Velcro the external battery onto that plate)

Works just fine w/ Patched-Ball/(real)BP too (even with following patches in the flightpath)

Le-Page-Range-Photo-Processed2sm.jpg

Lepage-RCBS435-21g-3-Fg-1cc-YCorn-Meal-Precut-sm.jpg

44-LePageDueling/RCBS_0.435"ball/21gr/3FgGoEX/1cc-CornMeal/0.010"TwillSpitPatch
Cut-downFunnel to ensure powder goes into patent breech channel/846±09fps/25yds

Last edited:
Pretty sure I am gonna buy the Lab Radar... When purchasing the plate to go with it. It is $220 more than the full setup for the magnetospeed v3. Plus I can still group test with it while testing velocities. Without worrying about the Magnetospeed causing point of impact changes from shot to shot.

The Magneto speed is the winner I guess. I didnt realize that the sporter version was only $180..

Also My wife reminded me that the $400 saved from the Lab Radar could be used for another gun or loading supplies.... She is always trying to talk some sense into me. Glad I married that woman!!!!!

Anyway, the sporter version will fill My needs. (I likely will not ever own a rifle with muzzle diameter greater than 1 inch)

That is always the dilemma, where the money goes and gets how much of what.

Let us know how you like it.

Thanks for the update, it should be a good choice for you. The testing I have read on the Magnetospeed shows that it is very accurate, and it does not affect accuracy as some of us had thought. After you have some experience with it, let us know how you like it.

I have a Chrony Beta and a competition electronics.
Both work really well but the comp electronics has an edge in that it works with a tablet or cell phone and easily downloads data to a spread sheet., big plus. Alas both are a pain to setup and the Lab radar is supposed to be easy to use at an indoor range. Been thinking of popping for one but I'd like more feedback on the indoor range thing before shelling out that much money.

Back