Let's talk about rifle values

TUNDRA_AK

Inactive
I have 2 rifles in my collection I am considering selling, as I will no longer need them after I move back to Idaho. I'm not sure what I should ask for them. Both rifles come with ammunition and reloading kits ( powder, primers, bullets of various flavors and brass, as well as dies).
The first is an early 70s interarms mark X Whitworth Express safari rifle in .375 H&H. With Safari sights and both 200 and 300 yard leaf sights, low serial number. Excellent condition.
The other is a marlin lever action guide rifle, jm stamped, in .450 magnum. Also excellent condition. Anyone have opinions on these? I hate to part with them as they have both served me well in my 25 years of living in Alaska, but I won't need them in Idaho. Thanks for your thoughts.

For the value on the 450 Marlin I suggest you go to the Marlin Owners forum. That site has a section specifically for the 450. Those guys should be knowledgeable about current values.

My impression is that it's one of those cartridges that never quite caught on, so the rifle ought to be worth less than a similar model in 45 70, however, like everything it seems, they have a loyal fan base, so who knows.

Last edited:
Agreed on the 375.

If I had any use for one I would link up, my magnum days is over though.

I would shop it on the AK sites, if no good response, Gun Brokers has tremendous exposure.

Yeah, I'd try and sell it in AK before you leave. The market in Idaho will be much harder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to have a Mark X Whitworth Express rifle in 375. I am sorry I got rid of it, but it never got used. Ammo cost and the weight of the rifle pretty much negated any practical use outside of AK or Africa. I agree with others here, sell it in AK before you leave. You may find someone in ID who is stil in love with Capstick, Hemingway, or Ruark (like I was back then), but odds are better in AK.

I too, left Alaska after 22 years and moved back to Wyoming. Except I kept my Model 70 375 H&H I bought at the PX on Ft. Richardson in 1976 for $235 new. No way in heck would I sell it.

I can still find a use for it for those late evening hunts where I don't want to track wounded elk in the dark.

Elk%201.JPG

My kid used it last year to bag an elk.

I had a mold made up for cheap shooting, using 3/8 copper tubing for jackets.

jacob%20066.jpg

Never considered parting with it.

That's ironic... I just got home from a gun show,
saw a Marlin 450 for $795.

End of same table was a Whitworth express at $1095.

There seemed to be little interest in either.

Kraigwy, is that the super grade model 70?

Sure looks like one that I've got.
Was given to me, the old guy is still looking for the box of ammo.
It's never been fired.

Value dependent upon willing buyer, first and foremost. Next comes intrinsic value, real or perceived, that makes a firearm desirable (rarity, or superior construction, or soup de jour with gun writers/the web, or sentimental desire to own a particular firearm, or etc.).

For me, it is acquiring guns I used as a kid fifty, sixty years ago. For those I willingly pay a premium. For others, it may be owning every variation of Glock, or Sig, etc.

Back